What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Tulsa gun show finds

vinnyw

Here are a few things I found last weekend,this is what happens when I can,t find any WW1 stuff.:tinysmile_fatgrin_tThe brown mine is a WW2 japanese ceramic mine.It was demiled by a hit from a big hammer,i bought it glued together and i have matched the color to make it look better,im letting the color cure,then im hoping to dull it to match the existing patina.Im happy to have it in this shape because it is very rare in my world.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 195
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 173
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 186
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Great find

I cant belive you found an SA-7 With the missile at a gun show I couldnt even find one at the Knob Creek show.

sorry , this brown mine is not made by japanese army but made by us army for instruction sapper,
in a wooden case for instruction :
- grenade type 98
- stick mine
- cramic mine
- mine type 99
- magnetic mine

sorry , this brown mine is not made by japanese army but made by us army for instruction sapper,
in a wooden case for instruction :
- grenade type 98
- stick mine
- cramic mine
- mine type 99
- magnetic mine
hello pat,im aware of the u.s. Training set,and made sure that there were some markings,it dose have some jap markings and some numbers,im not an expert on these.but if that is the case im still happy to have it.according to my information it is exactly the same.
Vinny
thanks for your interest,and if you have any info i would love to see it.

Last edited:
I cant belive you found an SA-7 With the missile at a gun show I couldnt even find one at the Knob Creek show.
ITS ONLY A TRAINER,I BOUGHT IT FROM A DEALER FRIEND,HE BUYS A LOT OF STUFF FROM THE BASE WEST OF OKC.I HAVE BOUGHT A LOT OF E.O.D. TRAINING STUFF FROM HIM OVER THE YEARS.
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST.
VINNY :tinysmile_classes_t

ITS ONLY A TRAINER,I BOUGHT IT FROM A DEALER FRIEND,HE BUYS A LOT OF STUFF FROM THE BASE WEST OF OKC.I HAVE BOUGHT A LOT OF E.O.D. TRAINING STUFF FROM HIM OVER THE YEARS.
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST.
VINNY :tinysmile_classes_t
ps. that tulsa gun show is the largest in the world in one building,4000 tables,if you go I will not worry there is usually enough to make me happy.I always love it weather I find anything for my collection or not.But finding something is always better.Have a good one
Vinny

japanese mine

Japanese ordnance is my thing. Sounds like its a real mine. An original Japanese made ceramic mine has embossed markings either on the side or bottom. There will be a hexagonal maker mark with a character inside it. The mark is about 8mm in diameter. Next to the mark there should be an embossed lot number that is usually two or three digit. I have several original Japanese ceramic mines and they are all marked in this way with differing lot numbers. The trainers I've seen have no markings. This is my exerience.

Jim
USA

JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Jim

Link to Japanese ordnance page: http://www.castle-thunder.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=976

Attachments

• DSCF0601.jpg
    DSCF0601.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0602.jpg
    DSCF0602.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Japanese ordnance is my thing. Sounds like its a real mine. An original Japanese made ceramic mine has embossed markings either on the side or bottom. There will be a hexagonal maker mark with a character inside it. The mark is about 8mm in diameter. Next to the mark there should be an embossed lot number that is usually two or three digit. I have several original Japanese ceramic mines and they are all marked in this way with differing lot numbers. The trainers I've seen have no markings. This is my exerience.

Jim
USA

Thank You Jim for the information,and your interest in this.Im posting a picture of the markings on the side,if you would let me no what you think.I also posted a grenade awhile back that was sold to me as a jap pratice that came off one of the concord islands,it is different, what ever it is.
PS You have some very nice stuff.
Thanks Again
Vinny

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
request

I am curious if the fuze is Japanese or US made. Sometimes you will see original mines with US trainer fuzes on them. Can you gently remove it from the rubber seat? The fuze will thread apart into two almost equal halves. Are you able to gently take it appart? If you can post a picture of the interior bottom half of the fuze. I can tell you if it's a real fuze or not.

Jim

Hello Jim
Sorry for the delay,getting back to you.And thanks for your expertise,here are the pictures.Also there is something like a cloth mini sock on the rubber piece.Could this be rement of a fuse?
What kind of ignitor do these have.?
Vinny :tinysmile_classes_t

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 19
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 22
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 20
Differences in Trainer and Original Type 3 fuzes

Hello again.

I have both original Japanese and U.S. made training copy fuzes. I'll keep it simple so it's easy to remember. There are several differences between U.S.
training copies and Japanese originals but the easiest way to tell the difference is to disassemble the fuze and look for the Striker pin/striker pin well. Inside the bottom portion of an original Japanese fuze there should be a circular indentation with a striker pin visible. Sometimes the pin will be missing but the hole will be present. The U.S. copies have no well and no steel striker pin. I am absolutely sure of this. The interior of a US trainer will be flat or smooth.(see third picture) U.S. training fuzes never had any live components so they never had striker pins or percussion caps. Check out the pictures. Your fuze is a U.S. training copy but it's better to have that than no fuze at all. The originals are hard to find. An original Japanese ceramic mine is rare, even restored it's a good piece. Good find! As far as the "Sock", I'm not sure what that is. These fuzes were activated by pull wire or pressure. Trip wires or direct foot pressure on top of the fuze.

Hopefully this helps,
Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0384 (2).jpg
    DSCF0384 (2).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0385 (2).jpg
    DSCF0385 (2).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0387 (2).jpg
    DSCF0387 (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0388 (2).jpg
    DSCF0388 (2).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Jim
By the way we have a mutual friend,Pat Daniels.Thank you again for your expertease,and for taking the time to reply.
Vinny :tinysmile_classes_t

no problem

Vinny, No problem. I like to share information so others won't get ripped off like I did when I started out in the hobby. I've met Pat at a collectors meeting in Michigan a couple years ago. He has nice Japanese stuff.

Jim