What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Vietnam memerables...

V40

Here are "The Get Out Of Jail Free Card", on two different papers. Also, the only two manufacturers that I know of for P-38's. They (P38's) were one item that you didn't go out to the field without. The GOOJFCard was handed to all SOG people in the begining and by 1970 was only given to SOG personnel in The Need to know area. They had been abused by SOG RT memebers to get jeeps from MP's and then go bar-hopping which was the only one I am going to talk about. The others use your imagination?

Here they are: I apoligize again for the second photo. THIS YEAR I WILL CONQUER MY CAMERA!

Attachments

• Vietnam Memerablity 002.jpg
    Vietnam Memerablity 002.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 57
  • Vietnam Memerablity 001.jpg
    Vietnam Memerablity 001.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Very interesting item Mark. A great "go with" for your Vietnam collection. I think I could well imagine the other use(s) of the card. Interesting bit of information....Dano

My Christmas gift from a wonderful friend. I would tell you who he is if he sas it is OK with him. Pm me if you want your name announced?

These are some great items that belong to the VC:

Attachments

• VC Flags 001.jpg
    VC Flags 001.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 20
  • VC Flags 003.jpg
    VC Flags 003.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 18
  • VC Flags 002.jpg
    VC Flags 002.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 24
Also forgot, the moccasins are not for sale, unless, they are worth something to somebody here? They are made of Vietnamese leather. Size 12, and smell about the average age of moccasins, which would be 4-5 years old. I will also include a free M17A1!

Thanks Dan. Imagine having a jeep and the whole city of saigon. You and I would have a great time!

Hi Mark, The flags are great though it took me a bit to mentally hook up on the moccasins (a bit slow here). I just love non ordnance items from the era i'm collecting to accent the ordnance. Very nice....Dano

Soory Dan. I love my moccasins. Sometimes I feel like I want to wear then to bed and with my old Snoopy Dog to keep me safe when the wife is away on business.:tinysmile_shutup_t2

Also forgot, the moccasins are not for sale, They are made of Vietnamese leather. :laugh: Size 12,and smell about the average age of moccasins, which would be 4-5 years old. I will also include a free M17A1!

when those puppies come off....... it's time to didi mau! I don't think the gas mask will help after 4-5 years of wear...especially with no socks :laugh:

Last edited:
Well Steve, you amaze me. Now you are talking my area. Also, Chieu Hoi as far as theeeeeee LOoooooooooooooong postsssssssssssss go! But wait, I do feel the Dark Side in you and you will never be able to destroy "SOGie On THe Brain Man":tinysmile_cry_t4::eek:oh:!

Well Steve, you amaze me. Now you are talking my area. Also, Chieu Hoi as far as theeeeeee LOoooooooooooooong postsssssssssssss go! But wait, I do feel the Dark Side in you and you will never be able to destroy "SOGie On THe Brain Man":tinysmile_cry_t4:!

:laugh: thanks for the open arms "SOGie On THe Brain Man", no dark side to me, I would never try to destroy you or anyone.....I'm just a nice guy who makes looooooooooog posts...
Now if you would like to sign this little contract with me I can maybe help you :deal: greets from Mr. B. L. Zabob :evil:

2 cents worth

The Mark 2 fighting knife on right was used by many SOG as they preferred them over their cheaply made knives which would not hold an edge. Also the M14 and M16 bayonets were favored as a fighting knife by the general troops......Dano

Attachments

• Picture 976.jpg
    Picture 976.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My P-38 and the dog tags it was attached to for my Army career. An indispensible little piece of kit. I also have one of the adult versions which had "Made in England" stamped in it.

Attachments

• P-38s.jpg
    P-38s.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5
Dano, yes I remember the KaBar being used by SOG. They also used Randalls, Gerbers, Swiss Army Knives, and even those cheap knives that Conrad "Ben" Baker (CISO) procurred from Japan. Allot of SOG members took their unwrapped SOG knives home with them along with the "BOLO" knives for keepsakes.

When you took a position in SOG you were issued a few things.

1) A SOG Recon Bowie
2) Seiko watch
3) And, I believe a "Demo" knife.

I'll have to look up what is for sure the 3rd one. Give me some time on that one Dan.

These things (1-2) you were able to keep and go home with them. You could also use them in your equipment rigs. You could almost always get replacements.

As far as the watch goes, some guys would get R&R to Hawaii, Manilla, Bangkok, and a number of any major cities in SEA that were considered good and safe for your family to meet you at. Or, you could meet them half way in Hawaii.

Yes Dan, I see the two bayonets there. Definately used by regular Army and Marines along with the ARVN soldiers as you have stated. Good eye for detail and research on your part Dan! You have joined the club of the Vietnam Collectors Dan. Keep up the great work my friend!!!!:party:

The helmet can be left like that without a cover or even without the steel pot and used with just the liner as used by some MP's and the "White Mice". The M-14 Bayonets are getting ever so slowly hard to come by in the near future.:tinysmile_cry_t2:

You (anybody interested in collecting somthing else from Vietnam) can just start with Bayonets used in Vietnam alone and it would take you years to get all of the manufacterers blades. I only am reminded by a company here in Ohio near Columbus called "MilPar" they made allot of M-16 bayonets.

Dan Pm me when you can. I want to know if you are Gay? Just kidding:tinysmile_hmm_t: PM me as soon as you can.

Bob, I have about 20 of them still in their package. They are very reliable and can do many other functions.

The one from england I am not also aware of. However, the US did make a larger version of the P-38 called the P-51 I believe. I will have to take pictures of the ones you are talking about side by side.