What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Somewhere in England

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Thought this snap might be of interest

Attachments

• GermanAmmunition004C.jpg
    GermanAmmunition004C.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 324
that is the better stuff. Were can i get them? or at least see them for real? is this from a privat collection?

Best regards,

DM

What a great picture, is this a wartime shot or a modern black and white pic ? A fantastic display, thanks for sharing it Bonnex.
Best regards Weasel.

Whereever they're from that is a beautiful snap showing some really cool tuff. Thanks for posting Norman....................Dano

Where is it?

My guess is that it was taken somewhere in England in 1946. The more mature Ammo Techs, or AEs, might be able to identify the store shed. It looks like it could be Bramley (ammunition depot long since closed) and, who knows, it could be still there in Shed 7 covered in dust. More likely though, it was moved to become the excellent collection of German ammunition that the Royal Military College of Science had in the 1960s.

Bramley depot

My guess is that it was taken somewhere in England in 1946. The more mature Ammo Techs, or AEs, might be able to identify the store shed. It looks like it could be Bramley (ammunition depot long since closed) and, who knows, it could be still there in Shed 7 covered in dust. More likely though, it was moved to become the excellent collection of German ammunition that the Royal Military College of Science had in the 1960s.

Does anyone have any pics of Bramley depot? I remember going there for excersise when I was a cadet in the early 90s. I seem to remember there being a CS chamber, loads of large hangers all with rail access, a couple of old trains and an old Wessex helicopter on the grounds. I hear that some of it is used for banger racing now but public still have no real access due to too many unaccounted for munitions etc. If I remember rightly, they found a load of buried mustard gas canisters or something, when they were trying to clear it up a bit, so abandoned the project and kept it fenced. Would this be correct or do I have the wrong place entirely?

Is that a vehicle inspection pit, bottom right? Might help to ID the building.

snap!

Yup, That's definitely the location. The brick piers, the steel beam etc all match, shame all the shells aren't still there :tinysmile_grin_t:

Bramley

The clearance at Bramely was called Operation Apple, they recovered large amounts of ordnance including 18 pdrs and 4.5" projos filled with mustard. They were all fuzed and many were in amazing condition.

Railway wagons and all!

From my memory and talking to others (two of whom were involved) the entire lot was then encased in concrete on site in the railway wagons and shipped out early one morning to a Naval dock yard where the wagons were then loaded onto a ship for a secret location to be deep sea dumped.

It was said that the railway wagons were used as a mould for the concrete and they also went into the drink (sounds feasible, but?) I do remember the big fuss about it all in the local newspapers as it was decided to line the entire routes of the train/s with policemen and service staff to ensure nothing untoward occurred!And the condition of some of the items were indeed stated to be in "from factory" condition so many years on!

Not everything went into the sea! There were many chemical items removed from the ground and then destroyed in a more enviromentally safe manner elsewhere.

Discussed this this photo with PeterG, who passed through CAD Bramley (when it was also the School of Ammunition) in about 1950. He doesn't recall the collection and doesn't recognise the setting. Might be Fort Halstead as they had been carrying out a lot investigation into German ordnance.

Regards

TimG

secret location to be deep sea dumped.

as it was decided to line the entire routes of the train/s with policemen and service staff to ensure nothing untoward occurred!QUOTE]

Maybe a bit of balance needed here. Post WW2 we had vast amounts of of stockpiled ordnance. Many smaller depots had their stocks incorporated into those of the larger Central Ammunition Depots. Then in the 1960's and 70's we closed two big depots, Corsham ( underground in Wiltshire) and Bramley ( rail served in Hampshire). Huge quantities of ordnance was dumped at sea following the accepted standards of the time. Ammunition and Explosives Regulations of the time prescribed how items/packages would be prepared for dumping. This involved for example, adding of ballast, drilling of additional holes in wooden boxes etc. The dumping locations may have been secret at the time but are now known to all. A memorable one being Beauforts Dyke between Scotland and N Ireland.
Vast amounts were dumped here and elsewhere from LST's and other vessels. My view is that there has been some "folklore" added to the story of the emptying of CAD Bramley. I believe that there were 2 operations - "Apple" and "Alamandra" ( or something v similar).
I visited CAD Bramley as an apprentice Ammunition Technician whilst it was in its final throes. I believe that selected local labour was sourced from a nearby institutuion - Park Prewett.
The School of Ammunition and its museum collection was at Bramley for many years and it is not inconceivable that the photo that started this thread was taken in one of the storage sheds on site.

It has been interesting to read the traffic on Bramley in connection with the photograph - particularly the CW diversion. Op Apple dealt with the find of about 145 buried chemical shell located as a result of a gas main installation at Bramley. After recovery they were stored at Bramley until disposed of 'with environmental sensitivity' as recorded by Pete. This happened after the CAD and US AD interests had left so there were no other munitions involved (at this time) and it was likely after DSD ceased which if I remember correctly was in 1986.

I agree with TimG that Fort Halstead is a strong candidate for the location of the photograph.

Chopped chopper.

Thanks for the link. This is the place I remember. Spooky place if I remember right. Can anyone confirm that there is a smashed up Wessex helicopter on site? I may be getting confuesed with somewhere else, but I'm pretty sure it's here.........Oh and the CS chamber?

The smashed up Wessex was there last year but now the trees are in leaf it is not possible to see it at the moment.
I think the Bramley discussion like all these things is subject to "chinese" whispers as indeed all these things are.
I do as a child remember a lot of fuss in the local papers regarding the use of police/Army personel and the "lining of the route" but it was a long time ago and sadly I threw the paper cuttings out years ago so even my recall of those "reports" will be blurred.

Bramley has a building project that is fairly ongoing and uxo's are still found on every land sell off-the depot shrinks and the housing estate races to meet the new boundaries.