What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sort of.

tigbrand

Premium Member
Not a place really to visit, but two places ive been recently,one area was a ww2 Decoy site for Holton Heath cordite factory, the other was a small hill on on the heath near Corfe castle in a ww2 pre D day training area. The Question is What are the strange white painted concrete posts for?? the are the same in both locations. Any ideas.Tig.(Dogs blurred head for scale)

only a total guess.
was they anything to do with anchoring barage balloons down?
ive just checked and barage ballon points varied,but i dont think they were like this.
so i have no idea,unless they were measured markers for distances used in some kind of training?

Maybe they are boundry markers

Last edited by a moderator:
Tig,

They may be the bases for the lights at the decoy site.

We have a decoy airfield near us and I was told to look for some concrete blocks where the runway lights were when we were trying to find the extent of it.

Will.

Lights

Hi Will You could be right although at both locations i can only see one.Hi Doug,there not to big and not earthfast.And right in the middle of miles of heathland. BTW, Will im gathering the bits together to start the electrolysis process.Thanks for the links,very interesting.And cheers to you too Doug! Regards Tony.:xd:

I have two references to Naval QF sites in the Holton Heath area.
HH1 Arne. NGR SY 963868
HH2 Gore Heath. NGR SY 922914

An attack on 3/4 June 1942 evidently intended for the RN cordite factory at Holton Heath was diverted almost compleatly by the naval QF, which drew at least 112 HE bombs and more than 5000 incendiaries and in doing so probably achieved the greatest QF success of the war.

Both the above were decoy fire sites.

Decoys

Hi Q,yes thats correct,the Arne decoy took lots of hits,still seen on google earth. The site at Gore heath was not as successful due to being inland. This is also listed as Decoy heath decoy. There were various AA sites in the area with 3.7 " batteries at Arne, Parkstone Golf course and Dean hill. With 40mm Bofors on 2 x towers at Sandford(Both still there). The Arne 3.7 is accessable and in good nick,the others not so.Do not rely on the ww2 grid refs,they are often not very accurate. As always if your down this way,ive located masses of stuff,most forgotten and overgrown. The net does not beat a map and a long walk.Best Tig.