What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soviet Missille submunitions

weberoed

Ordnance approved
Does anyone have any pitrues or info on the submuntions used in the SCUD, FROG 7, SS 21, etc? I have a few line drawings but they don't tell me much. ABout allI can find so far comes from material that describes the missilles/rockets as having chemical and frag submuntions.

thanks

thanks Jeff, I found this site and a couple other related ones - all in Russian but I also found a great translation site so long as you put the soviet in word format. It does pretty good.

I came across a number of bomblet drawings that are all fin cylinder type, like the Soviet 9N235. But the drawings didn't come with any fuzes, just just some measurements a a note that they were UGSM's (assume that means unguided sub munitions). Also got a couple ball shaped bomblet drawings about the size of the OKT, but they have some vanes (like a US sub). All are suppose to come from Soviet SSM's mainly SCUD and FROG variations

If you have the google toolbar loaded and enabled on your computer, it will translate damn near anything. It just does literal word-for-word translations though. it does Russian, Croation, German. Everything I've seen so far.

Here is an excerpt from a MLRS style rocket. It lists a number of submunitions. The designations here are the translated names/numbers. Go to the site to look at the text before it is translated

Site page: http://www.russianarms.ru/forum/index.php/topic,9529.msg77120.html#msg77120

Translation:

Missiles with a range of 70 km

Projectile 9M55F with detachable high-explosive fragmentation warhead 9N150
Projectile 9M55S with a thermobaric warhead 9N174
Projectile 9M55K with submunitions 9N139 (72 shrapnel BE 9N235 )
Projectile 9M55K1 "Kazantin" with submunitions 9N152 (5 homing BE SPBE-D "Motif-3M")
Projectile 9M55K3 with submunitions (landmines)
Projectile 9M55K4 with submunitions 9N539 (25 anti-tank mines PTM- 3)
Projectile 9M55K5 with submunitions 9N176 (646 cumulative fission-BE)
Projectile 9M55K6 with submunitions 9N178 (5 homing BE 9N268)
Projectile 9M55K7 with submunitions (homing BE)

rockets with a range of 90 km

Jet 9M525 missile with submunitions 9N139 (72 shrapnel BE 9N235)
Projectile with 9M526 9N152 submunitions (5 homing BE SPBE-D "Motif-3M")
Projectile with 9M527 9N539 submunitions (25 anti-tank mines PTM-3)
9M528 missile with a detachable high-explosive fragmentation warhead 9N150 Projectile 9M529 with a thermobaric warhead 9N174 Projectile 9M530 with explosive-penetrating warhead Projectile with 9M531 9N176 submunitions (646 cumulative fission-BE) Projectile 9M532 with submunitions (5 homing BE) Projectile 9M533 with submunitions (5 homing BE 9N268) Projectile 9M534 with RPV T90-11 (9M61) Projectile 9M536 with submunitions (72 penetrating shrapnel BE) Projectile 9M537 with submunitions ( 32 BE proximity fragmentation mining) Rockets with a range of 120 km Projectile 9M542 with detachable part of the high-explosive fragmentation warhead Please correct and supplement.

Last edited:
Mike you're kind of jumping into the deep end without any preparation here, and trying to hit these sites using a translation program and no clear understanding is only going to make it worse. That plus you are reading information coming from people that have submitted it to a web site, not citing references, etc. Accuracy is probably not what you may be looking for. Keep in mind it is still the internet.
Looking at the data posted by Hazord above you can see what I mean with likely conflict in terms like rocket and missile, projectile and warhead, etc. In addition Russia uses different munitions terms in different ways, not what you are used to. Get to a local library and start with Jane's or something similar, then build from there.

Not sure what you mean Jeff. Been around the block log enough to realize not all in fo is correct, the question came up becasue I realized I had never connected submunitions that I knew about to those used in missile warheads. And when I started finding drawings I realized they did all match up to what I knew - as such the question what subs are used in what warheads? The trnslation programs help but I realize that they are not always set to translate alot of technical talk.

HAZORD listed a number of subs I had now listed or or were not in my library (thanks by the way)

Mike, the submunitions I listed were just for the 300mm rocket that has a range greater than 90Km. So there could be a lot more info on the site that Jeff mentioned. One thing about that site, 90% of the info seems to be coming from one guy.

Mike, the submunitions I listed were just for the 300mm rocket that has a range greater than 90Km. So there could be a lot more info on the site that Jeff mentioned. One thing about that site, 90% of the info seems to be coming from one guy.

No, that site is`nt very good. And your translation with google-translate is`t good, because it`s google :) And US-Subs told right thinghts about translation.
On russian language you could fined and better site (with cutway and schemes) :)
And here you are names from my handmade table with Soviet/Russian projectiles on Emglish.
9М55Ф - With high-explosive fragmentation warhead.
9М55К - With cluster warhead filled with fragmentation submunitions.
9М55К1 - With cluster warhead filled with homing submunitions Motiv-3M (9Н349).
9М55К3 - With cluster warhead filled with homing submunitions – antipersonal mines ПОМ-2 (POM-2).
9М55К4 - With cluster warhead filled with homing submunitions – antitank mines ПТМ-3 (PTM-3).
9М55К5 - With cluster warhead filled with shaped-charge fragmentation submunitions.
9М55К6 - With cluster warhead filled with homing submunitions 9Н268.
9М55К7 - With cluster warhead filled with small homing submunitions.
9М55С - With a thermobaric warhead.
9М525 - With cluster warhead filled with fragmentation submunitions.
9М526 - With cluster warhead filled with homing submunitions Motiv-3M (9Н349).
9М527 - With cluster warhead filled with homing submunitions – antitank mines ПТМ-3 (PTM-3).
9М528 - With high-explosive fragmentation warhead.
9М529 - With a thermobaric warhead.
9М530 - With high-explosive penetration type warhead.
9М531 - With cluster warhead filled with shaped-charge fragmentation submunitions.
9М532 - With cluster warhead filled with small homing submunitions 9Н282 “Gnom”.
9М533 - With cluster warhead filled with homing submunitions 9Н268.
9М534 - With cluster warhead with UAV “Tipchak”.
9М536 - With cluster warhead filled with penetrating misiles combat elements.
9М537 - With cluster warhead filled with penetrating misiles combat elements.
Projectiles 9M525…9M537 were made for longer shooting and most of them hasn`t started use in Army and they`re only in project.

OK thanks now what Jeff said makes sense to me.

I'll post some of the drawings I have found later and maybe you guys can help me put an ID or discussion about them later

Mike

Attached is a jpeg that someone sent me about a month ago - sorry but I misplaced the email and can't remember who sent it.

First, from a conversation I had with one of our members I am not 100% sure these are real. I believe they are suppose to be bursting chemical submunitions from Soviet missles.

If anyone can provide more information on these, or help me confirm they are not real I would greatly appreciate it.Russian Missile bomblets.jpg