What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Special round

kz11gr

Hi

just to share with you

2729060.jpg

Artistic creation or anti zeppelin ?

=======================

There was a discussion of the "zeppelin" projectiles on the IAA discussion board a while back. Your example looks similar to pictures I recall from that thread. Is the fuze correct to that projectile? I understand that incendiary rounds were quite effective, as well.

Rick

Last edited:
In case anyone doesn't understand the "anti-zeppelin" description: I have seen this round discussed before. The hooks on the side were supposed to snag wires and other internal parts of a zeppelin after the round penetrated the outer skin.

Very interesting, wouldn't mind adding one of those to the collection!

Difficult to judge from the photo, but how big are these rounds?
To me surprisingly intricate given its age.

Andrew

Yes would be so much easier and effective to 'wack' a few small arms tracer into it and set fire to the b****r!

Tony

Found this, seems kind of late in the war, so I think there are others similar but perhaps earlier.

Attachments

• US1276575.pdf
    227.8 KB · Views: 110
  • US1276575-1.jpg
    US1276575-1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I think I saw some patents for something like those cable projectiles, but I was looking for the kind with blades. Where any of these imported to Russia or all of Russian manufacture.

The only ones that I saw were 76's, and the 76 was made in a lot of places on behalf of the Russians. That being said, the ones I photographed were identified to me as Russian manufactured by the curator and they had cyrillic markings.

The UK Army School of Ammo museum had a 19th century naval shell - I don't remember its correct name - that was designed as a mast cutter. The projectile was inert but had three bladed bars that splayed out from near the shell base, as in the photo shown in this thread, when the shell left the canon's barrel. The projectile was around 15 inches long and had a diameter of about 5 inches. I would love to return there and take a pile of photos - I just didn't appreciate the museum enough while I was there.