What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spotting projectile from ashtray?

navyman

Hello all,
I've just received this trench art ashtray made from a 1915 18Pdr case and, I'm told a Navy spotting projectile.
The solid lead projectile measures 64.66mm / 2.546 inches and the diameter is 25.64mm / 1.009 inches. Can anyone help with any info regarding the lead projectile?
Many thanks,
navyman.

Attachments

• ashtray 4a.jpg
    ashtray 4a.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ashtray 3a.jpg
    ashtray 3a.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 38
  • spot rd from ashtray 1a.jpg
    spot rd from ashtray 1a.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 44
1 inch

It is the proj for a 1 inch Aiming Tube. There were a number of blackpowder and cordite marks of this round, including percussion and electric primed rounds. The case was the same as the 1 inch Nordenfelt.

Use the search facility and there are a number of threads on this round.

Regards
TonyE

spotting proj.

I'll point out the lack of copper gas check makes it for a black powder round thereby putting it as 'early' . As to whether its naval or not I'm uncertain as some 1 in were used in Land service training/practice but cant be sure of the date, would need to look in Peters excellent book. Would advise searching on the bar above under 1 inch. Spotting rounds are for checking where the gun is hitting before firing a service round, these were for cheap training in the use of the gun. 2pr

Last edited:
1 in aiming

Quick look in my notes; lead only projectiles date from 1897 with the introduction of the MKI round and finish in 1910 with the MKVI round either electric or percussion primed. After 1910 gas checks were fitted to suit the cordite charge and went from MKI C to MKIII C introduced in 1915, again electric or percussion. 2pr

1 inch Aiming Tube

We should be clear that these are NOT spotting rounds, they are training rounds.

A spotting round follows the trajectory of the main armament and gives some indication of the strike, usually a flash and puff of smoke.

The aiming tube round was to train gun crews in laying and firing the guns without the expense of firing with full sized ammunition. The sub calibre aiming tube allowed this practice at an economical price, and just as importantly, within a much reduced danger area. Typically the 1 inch aiming tube had a range of about 1500 yards.

They were used by both the navy and the army, certainly up until WW2.

Regards
TonyE

Hello Tony,
Yet again you have answered a question which I was going to ask before I had a chance to send it! I intended to ask "How is the spotting round spotted, does it have some sort of tracer element in the base"?
I've just finished updating my catalogue so now I will edit it again, not that I'm complaining, I update almost daily as more knowledge is gleaned. I'm also kept busy with the constant editing of the labels I'm making for the displayed items, as well as working on restoration/conservation projects. The trouble with 'Collectivitus' is the temptation to buy another exhibit because it's, a good price, a good project item, something you have been looking for, etc etc, and of course the collection grows proportionately to the available space, then you make more space!
Thanks for your help,
Guy.