What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steel Cased U.K. S.A.A.

Good evening, Has anyone got any steel cased U.K. S.A.A. in there collections. I have a Steel Cased 7.62mm Nato round H/S ( K55 7.62 A2. ) but have never seen any others. I have seen and read about a few alloy cased cartidges but not steel. Thanks Geoff.

Steel case

Britain has never really got into steel case production of SAA. Some experiments were carried out by Royal Laboratory during WWI and again in WW2, but nothing came of them.

Starting in 1947, we were much more interested in alloy cases as you say, and all the effort went into these. Again though, after much experimenting in all calibres from .270 up to 30mm, the project was stopped. Kynoch made a few in the mid fifties, of which you have one, but I do not think this had any serious interest from the military behind it.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Chinese RG

Yes, the headstamp is "RG 60 (+) L2A2" with a copper washed steel case.

Regards
TonyE