What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stenciling on grenades

paul the grenade

HI ALL.
AFTER MUCH TRIAL AND ERROR OVER THE LONG YEARS I THINK I HAVE FINALLY PERFECTED THE STENCILING ON SOME L SERIES GRENADES.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
EACH ONE HAS TAKEN ABOUT HALF AN HOUR AS TRYING TO GET THE TEXT LEVEL ON A CURVED SURFACE IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
CHEERS, PAUL.

Attachments

• L2A1.jpg
    L2A1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 139
  • L2A2.jpg
    L2A2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 119
Hi all. Here's how to stencil grenades.(MY METHOD ANYWAY!") I first went to a supplier of rubber stamps and ordered a complete alphabet and numbers 0-9 on a single sheet as it was much cheaper than individual letters. I then cut them up with a sharp craft knife. Next i cut some small strips of balsa wood and covered one side with double sided tape. I can now stick the letters or numbers to the wood creating a small printing block. The consistency of the paint proved to be critical in the process too runny and the letters smudge, too dry and you don't get a good transfer. I painted a piece of card and waited till the paint had dried a bit then did a few practice prints to make sure the letters were straight and well spaced. Then came the hard bit, rolling the printing block across the gren body trying to keep an even pressure and keeping the print level. It took a few goes to get the desired result but it was well worth it.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Hope iv'e inspired a few of you to have a go.
Cheers, paul.

Attachments

• STAMPS 1.jpg
    STAMPS 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 60
  • STAMPS 2.jpg
    STAMPS 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 55
  • STAMPS 3.jpg
    STAMPS 3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 65
  • STAMPS 4.jpg