What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stinger bought at Gun Buy Back

I like the idea of gun buy backs, the government pays you to clear out the old stuff from your cupboard to make room for new and better, thats what happened when we had our pistols confiscated.

When our governent did that, people were importing crates of rusty junk pistols from China. The gov was buying them at what their market value as shootable guns would have been.

I have also heard about a buyback in the USA that was paying $100 per gun. Someone loaded up their car with brand new $25 zinc framed "Saturday night special" pistols in their boxes and sold them to the buyback for $100 each.

Yeah except now you can't own pistols. Wonderful lol. Atleast they buy them when they confiscate, Canada they reclassify and force you to give them up without compensation. If you don't then you can go to jail. YAY for freedom.

I got a kick out the guys going through the crowd and paying cash for guns before they went inside for a gift card.
That Stinger looked NICE. What a great deal for $100. IF he got to keep it.

The video went so fast, I couldn't tell if it was a Stiger or a Redeye.

Yes it is.
As my limited knowledge on US legistation is I recall that in the US any part of a MANPADS is already forbidden to own. Here we have the launcher too which unless deactivated and pre ban (and still may require a licence now) will be a problem for the owner.
Some of our US members may enlighten us about. Would be interesting to know.

Technically, you can't own an empty MANPAD tube now.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2332g

a) Unlawful Conduct. (1) In general. Except as provided in paragraph (3), it shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly produce, construct, otherwise acquire, transfer directly or indirectly, receive, possess, import, export, or use, or possess and threaten to use (A) an explosive or incendiary rocket or missile that is guided by any system designed to enable the rocket or missile to (i) seek or proceed toward energy radiated or reflected from an aircraft or toward an image locating an aircraft; or
(ii) otherwise direct or guide the rocket or missile to an aircraft;

(B) any device designed or intended to launch or guide a rocket or missile described in subparagraph (A); or
(C) any part or combination of parts designed or redesigned for use in assembling or fabricating a rocket, missile, or device described in subparagraph (A) or (B).

(2) Nonweapon. Paragraph (1)(A) does not apply to any device that is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon.
(3) Excluded conduct. This subsection does not apply with respect to (A) conduct by or under the authority of the United States or any department or agency thereof or of a State or any department or agency thereof; or
(B) conduct pursuant to the terms of a contract with the United States or any department or agency thereof or with a State or any department or agency thereof.

(b) Jurisdiction. Conduct prohibited by subsection (a) is within the jurisdiction of the United States if (1) the offense occurs in or affects interstate or foreign commerce;
(2) the offense occurs outside of the United States and is committed by a national of the United States;
(3) the offense is committed against a national of the United States while the national is outside the United States;
(4) the offense is committed against any property that is owned, leased, or used by the United States or by any department or agency of the United States, whether the property is within or outside the United States; or
(5) an offender aids or abets any person over whom jurisdiction exists under this subsection in committing an offense under this section or conspires with any person over whom jurisdiction exists under this subsection to commit an offense under this section.

(c) Criminal Penalties. (1) In general. Any person who violates, or attempts or conspires to violate, subsection (a) shall be fined not more than $2,000,000 and shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment not less than 25 years or to imprisonment for life.
(2) Other circumstances. Any person who, in the course of a violation of subsection (a), uses, attempts or conspires to use, or possesses and threatens to use, any item or items described in subsection (a), shall be fined not more than $2,000,000 and imprisoned for not less than 30 years or imprisoned for life.
(3) Special circumstances. If the death of another results from a persons violation of subsection (a), the person shall be fined not more than $2,000,000 and punished by imprisonment for life.

(d) Definition. As used in this section, the term aircraft has the definition set forth in section 40102 (a)(6) of title 49, United States Code.

It's open ended enough that possession of a grip stock, battery or even an empty tube qualify under section a.(1)(B)

As ridiculous as that story sounds, unfortunately that is NO joke. I've had an ongoing battle with the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office (just West of Seattle to get my 3,000 + piece, 30+ year inert ordnance collection returned. It was 100% inert, legal, and Federally/State law compliant. And they still took it ! They got some ass-clown from the DOD to come in & say the same thing. "He can't have it". Every single piece was legally/ legitimately obtained. I spent 93 days in solitary, just to be released with NO charges ! They had agreed to return all my property. Then when I went there to get it they said "No, you can't have it. We've decided you're forfeiting it without compensation". And the morons from the Army at Ft. Lewis mis-identified 70% of the items in my collection even items currently in the U.S. inventory. How sad is that...

And we need a "background check" under the Obama Administration to buy an empty Stinger tube now ? REALLY ??? :-\ Sorry alleged Army "experts", the actual Stinger housing tube is NOT a controlled item ! And they were in legal scrap/surplus auctions quite often before 2009. I also had one. It's the electronics/guidance package that's controlled. That was not present in the photo.

But that's okay, one of my headlines in the Seattle Times & dozens of other papers read, and I quote "He had more guns than is Constitutionally allowed". NO kidding ! I wasn't aware there was a limit.... Not to mention they paraded most of my items in the media claiming they were "live" and "dangerous". And 90% of what was reported about me was all LIES ! It was quite an ordeal !
It just goes to show the attitude of the authorities in most of the Blue States these days. Yet, they also did NOT do a propper inventory, or photographs. And now are claiming I only had 10% of what I really did have. Theives with badges !!!
Might I also point out, they lied to the BATFE & FBI to try to make it a Federal case. I spoke with the Fed's for 10mins. And they immediately left, saying "they wanted NOTHING to do with it" and that "he's just a collector, has not broken ANY laws, and clearly had no nefarious intent".

What a great country & legal system we have. . . . :-(

So, from my experience, I just don't see the guy getting his Stinger tube returned.

Brian

And in regards to the U.S. Legal Code, yes, it's VERY open-ended. So much so that there's room to argue the definition. Been there, done that ! Bottom line, you just can't have the $100,000.- guidance system, or the missile itself. (Duh). It's a one-shot, disposable unit - minus the electronics. I believe the spirit of the law was intended for prosecution in case someone uses one of the hundreds of Stingers sent overseas in the '80's, that are now largely unaccounted for. . .
I used to see fired tubes for sale quite often. Nowadays, you don't see even hardly any AT4's or LAWS.

Oh, and over the last couple years, I've seen a LOT of items that look suspiciously like mine, supposedly in DOD/ County custody, showing up on Gunbroker & the like. And they steadfastly refuse to allow my attorney to go physically see my property... Just like I have documentation the Army brought an x-ray machine into my house, and there were people arguing who was gonna' bring what back to their office for "further examination". I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. :-(