What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stokes cartridges

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi could anybody help i am trying to fine some pictures of the 12g cartridges that were used in the stokes mortar and perhaps someone might have one for sale or swap.
thanks in advance
Andy

Thanks Tony, no luck with the link, i know what the headstamp of the 12g cartridge is its ELEY LONDON 12 GASTIGHT but was wondering if there was any letters on the side of the paper case.
Cheers
Andy

P1010001.JPGP1010003.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010005.jpg

Hello Andy,

I know you're looking for the English manufactured 12 gauge cartridge, but I'll show this anyway. It's the American 12 gauge cartridge that we used in the 3-inch Stokes Trench mortar Mk I.

Best regards,

Randall

Hi randell, many thanks for showing the cartridge i think they were four colours in all green-red-yellow and khaki for practice.
regards
Andy

I know this thread is very old but I just found out, that the WW1 "shotgun cartridge" I bought years ago is in fact a green Stokes propellant cartridge!

Attachments

• IMG_8932.JPG
    IMG_8932.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8931.JPG
    IMG_8931.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8930.JPG
    IMG_8930.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8929.JPG
    IMG_8929.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 35
Here is my example, other than being in the Stokes projectile, I don't know how
one could tell this appart from any shotgun shell?

Attachments

• SDC11429.jpg
    SDC11429.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I found out just by its color which was mentioned in the Stokes mortar manual and that it is dated. A civilian shotgun shell would not have any dates I think.

Yours was unloaded through the side and the dated disc was saved. Mine was either fired and saved (via shotgun) or unloaded
though the top, disc lost and cap fired - So unless another complete one shows up that matches mine I'll never be sure.