What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stokes Mortar Project

steve R

I bought the two below stokes mortar at Birmingham International fair last year as a restoration project.

DSCN7266.jpgDSCN7267.jpgDSCN7271.jpg

Completely rusted up but eventually I manage to find somebody who had a manual lathe and could skim them for me. I was surprised at the quality of manufacturing that went into these once only used weapons. The right hand picture shows a fuse that I am not familiar with if anybody knows I would be grateful. The main thing is the correct colour to paint the bodies. I have seen examples of the band filling markings it is just the body colour I wish to get right if anybody can help.

Steve R

Last edited:
Steve,

It's not a fuze but a 'pistol' and it's correct name is "Pistol, HE Bomb, 3-inch Stokes Trench Howitzer" (I'm pushed for time at the moment and can't think of a succint way of explaining the difference)

This link is as it states - http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/handbook3instokesmortar1919.pdf

Do a search of "stokes" on this site and you'll find numerous threads on the bomb with discussion as to the correct colour.

TimG