What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange German PUW bomb

It may be a 5kg Incendiary PuW , of similar shape and size to the 12kg PuW (and 10kg PuW no2 of 1918) except for its nose. But this needs further research for a definitive answer.

I have already found 5kg puw Inc., the shape is different,

5kg Incendiary
PUW 5KG INCEND.jpg

As it's a simulation of hand dropping, the photo was taken on the ground, maybe it's a dummy bomb.

I put a hand on a digital Hi-resolution copy of the original photographs and enlarged the bombs - there is no reinforcing band ("bourellet") but scratch marks apparently caused by a clamping vise - these bombs seem to have been duds re-used for training after force removing the damaged impacted fuze (and they did not explode while doing that...:tinysmile_hmm_t:). The "fuse' seems to be a rough plug for training purposes.
The first Photograph:
"Bombenabwurf_Infanterie-Flieger" - Bavarian Main State Archives, War Archives BS-D 4662

Bombenabwurf_Infanterie-Flieger - Bavarian Main State Archives, War Archives BS-D 4662.jpg Better resolution PuW Screenshot 2021-08-19 161242.jpg

The second photograph from Alamy (they did not specify from which archive they plucked this photograph)
Better resolution 2 PuW Screenshot 2021-08-19 161534.jpg

Last edited:
This is the fuze mounted on this Ducth PuW clone - but to the best of my understanding this is a post ww1 bomb.

sb no 33.jpgDutch M33 fuze for 8kg PuW Clone.jpgsb no 33 nm.jpg

As a matter of fact, even in Germany itself, production and development of PuW bombs went on for a few years after the end of ww1, before being transferred to Sweden.

Last edited: