What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange head stamp on PzB41 case

H

Hoeksel

Today I found 2 very bad 2,8 cm PzB41 shell cases and I was allowed to only trade 1, so I took the one with a weird stamp. I knew I have seen these before, and there is a thread on a German site, but no clear answers.

Head stamp is (12/3/6/9-o-clock):

PN66f
M
/38
P

So it is Polte manufacture from 1938, but no WaA and what is this PN66f? On the German thread there where 3 examples:

PN66e and 2 x PN66f, all three P and M, /38 and /39, no WaA

Any clues anyone?

EDIT: my digicam is away for repair so no pics, sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
From a former German ammo collector I have heard that PN followed by a number and a letter are Polte drawing numbers. This might indicate these PzB41 cases are from the experimental stage which makes it an very interesting case even if it is not that good!

I have copy of Polte experimental case drawings list from 1943. For this case it gives drawing numbers 28 H - 25 A 6780 and 28 H - 24 A 6561 ( new type ? ), Correspondingly it gives Polte catalogue numbers 228 and 228a.
However numbering systematics of experimental case seems to be quite wild and yours may well be an earlier drawing number.