What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange MILLS

Spgr30

Ordnance approved
Is it a home made, a prototype of Engineers Work Shop or simply a Mills design? This pics came from a military museum in France (EOD TEAM), but, i've already seen before on the web.
Thanks for your anwers.
Best regards

1124532485.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1124532600.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have not encountered any grenade like this based on a Mills body. The example shown appears to operate by removing the pin and then rotating the top cap section, perhaps a quarter turn, to release an internal striker. Is that how it works? Are there other photos available to help clarify?

If the item does date from WWI, the closest patented idea may be one from James and Samuel Walster (No. 16749, application date November 1915), whereby a simple push in/locking fuze plug was suggested in order to expedite grenade production - the Mills-style lugs for lever and pin were dispensed with, removing steps in the maching process. Although the patent does not discuss a fuze in any detail, a simple twist mechanism retaining a striker and spring in compression would be possible. However, I am not aware that the Walsters actually produced any grenade prototype to their patent, so unfortunately all somewhat speculative.

Equally the item might represent a completely independent and parallel development carried out in the field. Where was this example found? The location might suggest British First or Second Army workshops... Even more speculative, so hopefully someone else might have some facts to hand.

Tom.

hi,
Thank you tom and paul, i send you last pics of this strange grenade. I don't remember where they came from, sorry for the owner!
JM
1124721560.JPG
[/URL][/IMG]
1124722155.JPG
[/URL][/IMG]

Excellent pics. that must be the strangest mills ive ever seen. it looks more complicated to make than a standard one.
Cheers, Paul.

That striker with the groove down the side, didn't they make similar ones for the Mills in Normandy from some factory used to produce very few strikers? I have definitaly seen a similar striker before, but it was WW2 era.

Dunkirk Grenade uses a striker simmular to that one, i wonder what is missing to turn the striker 45 degs ...... Dave

Dunkirk Grenade uses a striker simmular to that one, i wonder what is missing to turn the striker 45 degs ...... Dave

Hi dave. I dont think theres anything missing. looks like you pull the pin and give the knurled brass cap a twist to release the striker.
Cheers, Paul.

Hi dave. I dont think theres anything missing. looks like you pull the pin and give the knurled brass cap a twist to release the striker.
Cheers, Paul.
Paul

I can't see why anyone would replace a cheap and simple lever with a heavy cast ring? It would also be igniting in the hand rather than after release, removing one of the great benefits the Mills No 5 brought in.

John

Of cause how silly of me not to see that Paul, i sure would like too see how it holds the striker while the top is turned, perhaps this is a experimental to try and get round mills patents and have the det in the center....... Dave