What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

strange nato flare?

dogdog

Hi All
thought i would show this it looks like a standard red flare but there is no alloy canister for the flare comp.instead it has a longer rubber plug/spacer.
the head stamp is rg/5/64 and the case is marked cy 64 l5a1 lot 33
hope you like it.
Andy

Attachments

• tall ships 115.jpg
    tall ships 115.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 88
  • tall ships 116.jpg
    tall ships 116.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 66
  • tall ships 117.jpg
    tall ships 117.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 59
It's a red flare with the flare pot missing. The sponge is normally compressed on top of the flare. From memory the flare is cylindrical and about an inch long wrapped in foil so shouldnt be difficult to replicate.
Hangarman

Hi Thanks for that.
i will make one up i like them to look right i will post nore picks when i have done it.
Andy

Hi Andy, this is what you want
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1030750.jpg
    P1030750.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P1030751.jpg
    P1030751.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 19
Hi Andy
wow have you just pulled a round apart for the pick?
Thanks though i reon i can make up somthing that looks right from the pick.
Thanks
Andy

Hi, Andy I had this from a while back when i Inerted one but should be easy to make.
Cheers
Andy

Here any modern German Army Flares

Regards Peter

Attachments

• flares.jpg
    flares.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Good question
don't know why i put that it is British made did we not standardise this sort of thing?
Andy

Here any modern German Army Flares

Regards Peter
Hi Peter
love the flares i will have to add some like them to my small collection some day. i was just going to collect upto ww2 with flares and the flare guns (deac in the UK) but i am finding it more interesting and will expand into the modern era also.
Andy

Andy, I wondered since the British use the 1" system while the NATO today is more on the 26.5mm / cal.4 caliber.

Besides that a cartridge called "NATO-cartridge" is one which got standardized by the NATO like the 7.62x51 and 9x19 and some very few other calibers.

Hi Thanks for that i new about the 7.62 and a few others i thought it went much further though.
Andy