What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange statement on Ammo Can!!??

hicky1300

Picked this up with a couple of other containers (US 5.56 clips & 1945 wooden .303 Belted for South Africa).
Any ideas as to what `Overhead Use` means?
ammo can.jpgI`m expecting a few amusing replies!
Cheers

Yep, for firing over heads of friendly troops. Obviously only ammunition of known quality and condition would be used for this role.

Regards
TonyE

As the others have said - overhead fire. Cartridges for OFA (overhead fire application) are loaded only with bullets with GM jackets since GMCS jackets may tend to shred. Also, OFA Tracers have a foil closure disc rather than the heavier GM disc in case the disc seperates from the bullet when it's over the heads of troops. Many collectors have OFA cartridges in their collection without realizing it. A magnet test will usually pick out the Ball rounds but you have to pull the bullet to ID the tracers.

That is a great, and very collectable, ammo box.

Ray

Last edited:
That is odd that the overhead use ball and tracer don't have a different M number to the standard M62 and M80 rounds as they are intended for a specific use and do not have standard loads.
Nice box!

Tony

Tony

Since the OFA cartridges meet the same specs as the standard M62 and M80 they can be used in any situation, including combat. That's likely the reason they were not given any special designation.

There are three other experimental OFA cartridges that never reached production. The XM178, XM179, and XM180 were loaded with bullets turned from solid Gilding Metal. The Ball (XM178) is fairly easy to find, but the tracers (XM179 and XM180) are seldom encountered, even in advanced collections. It takes a trained eye to spot them and specemins may have passed thru collectors hands without them realizing what they were.

Ray

Thanks Ray,
it would seem the M system is a tad more sensible than our L system,even a change of the primer and it gets a new L number!:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Tony

I've also seen designated 'overhead fire' barrels for GPMG, yellow painted , for use in live fire exercises .
Guess the likes of Libya et al don't see a need for such things!

Cheers
Bob

I need to clarify a part of my first post on the OFA cartridges. I said that the only way to ID the tracer is by pulling the bullet. The OFA tracer has a red tip, compared with the orange tip of the standard M62. But, it's a simple matter to make a fake. Unless you are positive of what you have, the only way to tell for sure is to pull the bullet. That's what I should have said.

Ray