What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid question - is this safe? 20mm Hispano

Derek

I am undoubtedly going to raise some laughs or receive "flak" for this!
I have a number of brass cones/tips from WW2 dated 20mm Hispano projectiles, a couple have a brass disc that sits on the top. What is this brass disc, is it safe - no nasty surprises inside????

Attachments

• 20mm brass components2.jpg
    20mm brass components2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 65
Looks alright.

If all you have is the disc which is solid brass and the threaded nose cone with nothing else fitted inside then it is safe as these fuzes used the air pocket in between the disc and a small disc lower dowm with a central hole in it to compress and heat the air which in turn fired the detonator (hope that makes sense, its late i'm knackered).

Dont have time to locate my pictures at the moment, sorry

Always better to ask and look a fool than not to ask and be proven to be a fool-maybe without fingers etc!

I am undoubtedly going to raise some laughs or receive "flak" for this!
I have a number of brass cones/tips from WW2 dated 20mm Hispano projectiles, a couple have a brass disc that sits on the top. What is this brass disc, is it safe - no nasty surprises inside????

The "safe" brass disc has a hole in it. The det looks like a large primer from a cartridge. can you send a picture of the reverse of your brass disc?
Hangarman