What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Submunitions in Vietnam

Nice post, I see you visited the museum in Hanoi. The link provided a nice pic of the gravel mines conditon now (or responably now) I'll add the pic to my folder on them.

Nice post, I see you visited the museum in Hanoi. The link provided a nice pic of the gravel mines conditon now (or responably now) I'll add the pic to my folder on them.

Actually, all of those images (and the ones in the post) were shot in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).

The only thing that puzzled me about that gravel mine was the three tablets in there. I had only ever read about mines having two.

Two would be correct.
The Hanoi museum is the largest, though there are several interesting collections in-country. One thing in common though, if you look at the ordnance displays carefully one thing you will note is that sometimes the pieces are not put back together correctly. They had good trainers teaching them how to dismantle, but apparently not to put them back together.
I met an old German EOD tech one time who had a nice US sub on his desk. He said he had brought it back from Vietnam when training the locals in RSPs. A common story, it took me a moment to remember which part of Germany I was in. He had been on the other side back then (East) - he said he was in N. Vietnam with a group working out of Hanoi.

Subs made a point I didn't thik of, putting them ack together corectly, the museum in Hanoi had a couple that were that way. As fort he gravel, no it wouldn't have had 2 discs. And now that I think about it I need to go back and look at it again to make sure the ID was correct, but that's just my brain trying to get going this morning.

I met an old German EOD tech one time who had a nice US sub on his desk. He said he had brought it back from Vietnam when training the locals in RSPs. A common story, it took me a moment to remember which part of Germany I was in. He had been on the other side back then (East) - he said he was in N. Vietnam with a group working out of Hanoi.

Sounds much like Mr. Seifert.

That name does not ring a bell, but my memory for people's names is terrible. This was at Jessenitz - Mr Seifert?

As fort he gravel, no it wouldn't have had 2 discs. And now that I think about it I need to go back and look at it again to make sure the ID was correct...

Do you mean that three discs/tablets was the right number for that mine? And did you concur on the ID?

. The pic shows what I believe to be from what I think are 2 different mines. The wedge shape from either a XM 22 or M47. The round disc from the Xm-40.