What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspected live ordnance at the military show

DEADLINE222

While scanning the aisles at the show I came upon a table filled with general militaria with a few lonely cartridges of the, World War 2, 20mm variety.

As I begin the physically examine the cartridges the man behind the table proudly proclaims "That one is live!".

It is a MK series HE, fuzed projectile with an Oerlikon casing. I immediately verify the claim of it being live by inspecting the primer and shaking the cartridge.

Sure enough, everything was intact as well as the casing being crimped to the projectile.

Be it what I see is indicative of original, live cartridge; I immediately advise the gentlemen that the projectile could contain live, high explosives.

The dealer responds with "I had to buy all of this ammunition as a lot, and I don't know anything about that".

I respond with "Well.......I do."

I begin to explain that although the fuze is bore safe to several thousands of RPM, the fact remains that very old, deteriorating and highly sensitive explosives could be present. I generously went further to explain the function of the projectile, fuze and explosive chain.

The dealer responds by looking around at all of his buddies, rolling his eyes and waves me off and says "I don't want to know anything about that and I don't care."

I say "Perhaps you will care when someone drops this and gets killed; not to mention possession of something like this could be a federal offense?"

He looks at me with all of the attention he can muster and asks "What do you mean?"

I inform him "At the very least, there is a strong possibility you are in possession of an unregistered destructive device".

He then quietly takes the cartridge off the table and places it in a safe place while uttering "We'll have to get rid of this then."

I told him that I hate having to point this matter out, but the possibility of danger is present. And there is no tragedy in the loss of his mega-common cartridge. :tinysmile_cry_t4:

I takes all kinds I suppose.......

Hit it with a hammer and see what happens.

(This is NOT advice from a professional.)