What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swastika tankard?

navyman

Hello all,
I saved this from being thrown out some years ago. It was given to me by a widowed lady who was clearing out her husbands shed. She didn't like the swastika on it. Her husband had been using it as a paintbrush pot. I cleaned off the many layers of paint and found the engravings on it.
I have assumed that this was a silver wedding anniversary gift, because I think that the swastika on it's side, rather than the nazi one on it's corner, is the Roman symbol for silver? I know nothing about pewter assay/makers marks.
Can anyone enlighten me? I have tested it and found that a pint of bitter tastes very good from it, not a trace of paint taste!
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• mug 1a.jpg
    mug 1a.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 43
  • mug 2a.jpg
    mug 2a.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 46
  • mug 3a.jpg
    mug 3a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 39
  • mug 4a.jpg
    mug 4a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 33
  • mug 5a.jpg
    mug 5a.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 44
  • mug 6a.jpg
    mug 6a.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 34
Hi Navyman ,nice tankard your got ,before Herr Hitler and his friends got their hands on it the swastika was a ancient good luck symbol ,if i can remember rightly used by cultures on the Indian sub continent to Native Americans .[I think it was used as an American Army Divisional symbol ,First World War till the Americans joined the Second ].The Victorians used it a lot, seen brass trivets[ for resting your kettle on ] dated pre 1910 sold as Nazi ! Regards Dave

Hi Guy,

nice pot. The US 45th Inf Div used the swastica up until the late 1930s until they changed to the Thunderbird or 'T' Bird as its known.

Andy

Attachments

• 45th inf Div.jpg
    45th inf Div.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 8
Just looking on the Internet and came across the following -
The history of the 45th Infantry Division can be traced back to 1890 with the formation of the Militia of the Territory of Oklahoma.
In 1917, the First Oklahoma Infantry Regiment, redesignated as part of the 142nd Infantry Regiment of the 36th Division fought in the final month of WW1.
On 19 October 1920, the Oklahoma State militia was organized as the 45th Infantry Division of the Oklahoma Army National Guard.
Before the 1930s, the division's symbol was a red square with a yellow Swastika, a tribute to the large Native American population in the south-western United States.

Quite interesting topic, never knew about this.

Trained with the Oklahoma National Guard in the 1980s, hence my interest in its insignia. Both badges shown are original, 1930s and WW2.

Andy

This symbol can also be found on Anglo-Saxon pottery and the Germans used it on their aircraft during WWI as a good luck symbol,which would seem quite dark as to its use 20 odd years later!
Tony

The 45th Infantry Division started as the Oklahoma Infantry Regiment of the Oklahoma State Militia. Were mobilized for the Spanish-American War but not deployed. They were assigned to border patrol For the Mexican Border Conflict in 1916. Were patched into the 36th Division in WW1, but did not become the 45th Infantry Division until Oct. 19th, 1920 when the swastika was adapoded for the division insignia.......Dano

Last edited:
Ive seen the swazi on very old and expencive Native American pottery. Very nice tankard and a good save from the trash.

Hello all,

I have seen the Swastika symbol used on greetings cards from the 1920's again as a good luck symbol.

Also here is an example of it being used by the National Savings campaign during the First World War by the British!! Here is a photocopy of the 'Silver Bullet' dated 1919. (hope its ok to post as I know the Swastika is deemed offensive in some quaters, no offence meant to anyone)

regards
Kev

p.s. Great idea to increase the amount of pictures you can upload. Thankyou to whoever was responsible!! (it hasn't gone un-noticed)

HPIM5064.jpg HPIM5065.jpg

Hello all,

I have seen the Swastika symbol used on greetings cards from the 1920's again as a good luck symbol.

Also here is an example of it being used by the National Savings campaign during the First World War by the British!! Here is a photocopy of the 'Silver Bullet' dated 1919. (hope its ok to post as I know the Swastika is deemed offensive in some quaters, no offence meant to anyone)

regards
Kev

p.s. Great idea to increase the amount of pictures you can upload. Thankyou to whoever was responsible!! (it hasn't gone un-noticed)

View attachment 25473 View attachment 25474

Dont worry one inch my friend about anyone being offended about a swaz!
After all,this is a militaria site and we are bound to come across them. Yeesh,everytime i post a pic with waff stamps on the items they always have an eagle and swaz!
Ive never been bugged (yet!) about my avatar either! You carry on Sir. :)

best

waff

Here is a National War Savings Committee members badge from WW1. Got this on Feebay last year for not a lot of dosh. Shows the swastica was used all over the place before the Nazi's got hold of it.

Andy

Attachments

• National War Savings.jpg
    National War Savings.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 6