What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SWIMMER WEAPONS 3801 Big Shot Little Shot

weberoed

Ordnance approved
The Swimmer Weapons System 3801
The Big Shot and Little Shot Leave behind direct fire rocket systems

1.jpg2 4.5 inch M32 rkt HE.jpg

3.jpg4  M20_M28A2_cuta way.gif

SEE THE POST IN THE OTHER FORUM ON THE 308-6 DEVICE

The BIG SHOT
The Big Shot rocket launcher was a special purpose weapon which was normally setup in enemy controlled territory. If fired a single M-32 HE artillery rocket into a target area based on a time setting up to 12 hours after set up. The unit would self destruct after firing, and was booby trapped from the time it was armed.

Many times the intended target could not physically be gotten too, or it was so concealed that conventional artillery or bombing could not find it. So the employment was for the Special Operations team (Special Forces, SEAL MAVCSOG, etc) to infiltrate into an enemy area, get as close to the target as they could (or find a position that allowed for direct fire of the weapon on to the target). Set the launcher up, then leave the area.

The launcher used the 308-6 Special device for anti disturbance, the 308-6 also had the timer function attached to it. The launcher could also be command fired electrically.

The total weight was 35 lbs. It had a range of 9000 meters. The aiming was accomplished using a bubble level for elevation setting, 5 degree clicks from 0 to 45. Level terrain references were not required.

Limited number of this system were made (as best can be determined between 5 and 10). Several went to SEAL Teams. Little is known about their actual deployment, except through oral history. In one case a SEAL team infiltrated in to North Vietnam 20 clicks north of the DMZ and set one up on an ammo storage area that was hidden in caves. The rocket was aimed at a cave entrance. Al that was know was there was a large detonation, but could not confirm the ammo storage site was destroyed. In another story one was used by a MAVCSOG Team, aimed at a truck park on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. But again the results are not known.

The system did have a short use as it was considered to be too heavy to transport by man, but was kept on hand for specific targets.

THE LITTLE SHOT

Like its brother the Big Shot, this system was a special purpose weapon which was also designed to be set up in enemy controlled territory. However unlike its brother, this system fired three 3.5 bazooka rockets into a target area.

The Little Shot used the same firing setup as the Big Shot, using the 308-6 Special Device.

The Little Shot fired the M 28 HEAT rocket, weighed 38 lbs, and had a range of 800 meters. It had a built in dispersion at 800 meters. It also used a bubble level for aiming that was identical to the Big Shot.

Limited numbers were delivered to Special Operations units in Vietnam. At this time I can find no record of its actual use or results of its use.

I see you have another post about the 308-6.

Last edited:
Yes I do, am about to add more to the the 308's but I want to get some of the 3801 items added first. Besides I am waiting for another interview with an old SF guy who used them in Laos. I had to make sure he was the real thing as there are so many wanta be's. But when we first talked he was able to describe 2 of the items very clearly. So this comming conversation should be pretty good.

I saw that some where around 2006 the 308s were declassified. Was interesting because in 79 I was on a demil team that destroyed the last of them. Think the declassification came about when the US released a number of US EOD pubs to Vietnam, for their UXO clean up.

I saw that some where around 2006 the 308s were declassified. Was interesting because in 79 I was on a demil team that destroyed the last of them. Think the declassification came about when the US released a number of US EOD pubs to Vietnam, for their UXO clean up.

Great posting again webereod!

They must have released docs already earlier to Laos, in 1998 they had parts of the 60-series/AEODP manuals already. Of course I can not say for these ones.

Webereod,

Great stuff and thanks for posting.

I have these same photos in a 1968 Naval Special Warfare Projects report (#IDP-2927). Is that one of the documents you are using in these threads? My copy is overstamped UNCLASSIFIED, initialed and dated 2001 on the cover. Noted on the cover is that pages 20-21 are excised from the document and remain classified. As revealed in the table of contents, those pages refer to the "Zero Delay Hand Grenade Fuze". Yeah, pretty stupid they didn't bother to redact the table of contents. Anyway, do your sources have anything on this item? Still classified? Would enjoy hearing the details on this piece if possible.

Keep up the posts. There is some really interesting stuff among the 308 devices.

There was also a US anti tank mine, M-24 that used the 3.5" rocket and a IR beam for triggering it. Not sure if it ever made it fully to the field, I know in all my years dealing with US mines I never saw it

I believe one of our members has that mine. Will wait and see if he picks up on this post.

Last edited:
The M24 landmine system
The M 24 is a remotely actuated, off-route, high-explosive antitank (HEAT) landmine system which uses the 3.5-inch HEAT rocket to defend against tracked and wheeled vehicles.

The entire landmine system in its carrying case weighs approximately 18 pounds (9 lbs for the rocket).

The rocket is aimed at the selected impact point using a elevation and azimuth sighting assembly.

The 11-meter discriminator switch (hose-type pressure
switch) is placed across the anticipated path of the target vehicle. It is then connected to the 21-meter discriminator wire which is connected to the firing device. The rocket cable assembly is connected to the rocket motor igniter. The toggle switch is moved to the armed position, and the system is now armed. The rocket fires when the weight of a vehicle crossing the discriminator switch actuates the two switch segments, and completes the electrical circuit to the firing device which sends a current to initiate the rocket.

For what ever the reason I can't get pic/photos to attach when Ido a reply, seems when I go to the upload and then to the folder the pics are not there (but in normall opening of the folders they are there). If anyone wants the pics (B&W drawings let me know