What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swiss OHG 40 or Hungarian 36 M?

I would say, FWIW, it is the Swis OHG 40. A lot of commonality here though. But.....definately a Swiss OHG 40.

Hungarian . The Swiss one had yellow bands & the top was indented . Hope this helps .

I should have mentioned that the picture was only meant as an example and was borrowed from Lex's site.
The picture shows a grenade similar to my example with the indented top,the leather tab on mine is not as long and mine has a different maker mark stamped on the body.

I have seen pics of these grenades in collections described as the Swiss version, info from the site I linked to above mentions they were made under licence in Switzerland but are still the Hungarian type.

Does anyone know for sure and why do there only seem to be a few of the Hungarian type with the indented top as opposed to the 'raised' top?

Cheers,
Andy

I have not seen a Swiss version without the same serrated top. I have seen Hungarian grenades mostly without the serrated tops. So can somebody out there explain this to me?

Sorry Andy, typing way to fast here. Did not know you also stated the same question? My apologies for not seeing that.

We could do with some of the advanced grenade collectors opinions.

Cheers,
Andy

The first Hungarian 36M grenades made only with flat top.
After 39-40 started to product with the new reticular top, what is better to the fingers and safer to the grenade. But the flat top version grenades also produced parallel with the new types.
Switzerland bought the 36M grenade's license, and they got the new type grenade's plan. (And they produced only this types.)

So the design is Hungarian,but after the Swiss bought the licence and started production they were for their own use?

In which case the painted bands would be yellow and not red.
Did the Swiss rename the grenade when they started using it or did it remain the 36 M?

In the Hungarian grenades the yellow paint mean the "throwing-practice" models.
These grenades near same than the live models, but without mechanism and explosive charges. This grenades used for practice the throwing.

According to a Swiss manual from 1956, the Swiss version was called "Die Offensiv-Handgranate 1940" or O.H-G. 40 for short. This version was black with 3 yellow stripes.

They also had a drill version, "Die Manippulierhandgranate 1940". This version was aluminium coloured with a single red stripe.

and they had a practice version "Die Wurfkorper 1940" which was in solid cast aluminium with no stripes.