What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The farmer and the bucket

Lou

Went to an auction today,an old farmer started up a conversation with me.
We got to talking ordnance,said he had an old bucket of junk,didnt want it around the barn,didnt know what to do with it.He said he was sure he had a practice grenade.I helped him out.

All items are inert,empty,free from all chemicals and or explosives.

P.S. Traded the farmer something he liked much better.

Attachments

• Bucket 003.jpg
    Bucket 003.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Bucket 004.jpg
    Bucket 004.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Bucket 005.jpg
    Bucket 005.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Bucket 006.jpg
    Bucket 006.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Bucket 007.jpg
    Bucket 007.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Sometimes farmers cn be so dumb, when I was a kid, I always dreamed of finding a 50 year old airplane in a barn, a couple of months ago, I realized I had a 67 year old airplane in my barn. But did that make me happy, well no,
Best wishes
Gus

great haul

Great find of stuff Lou. Out of curiousity, what type of 67 year old aeroplane is in your barn Gus? Dano

Last edited:
Real nice find! I am so not jealous, well maybe just a little, no I'd say allot.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Anything there you'd like to trade for?

Great find of stuff Gus. Out of curiousity, what type of 67 year old aeroplane is in your barn? Dano
It is a 1940 Taylorcraft, I have not flown it since I crushed two vertibre in my neck about 10 years ago.

Went to an auction today,an old farmer started up a conversation with me.
We got to talking ordnance,said he had an old bucket of junk,didnt want it around the barn,didnt know what to do with it.He said he was sure he had a practice grenade.I helped him out.

All items are inert,empty,free from all chemicals and or explosives.

P.S. Traded the farmer something he liked much better.

Nice finds Lou, its always good to help people out......
Dave.

splains that

Well Gus that certainly explains why you don't like it in your barn. I flew a Taylorcraft once and it was not unlike flying a sledge hammer...Dano

Fantastic find Lou!!!!!

What a find, just goes to show that being friendly pays off!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Hi Lou,
Fantastic finds ! farmers are real hoarders you never know what they have tucked away. I bet you still have a massive grin on your face, the two grenades apear to have a shellac coating ? or is it just the light. If so i did not know that the US used that, i have to admit that grens are not my area of collecting.
Best regards Weasel.

Nice find Lou, my grandad had a bucket like that once but I was only about 10 when I remember it. God only knows where it went. I'm sure one of my cousins who since has tossed it all away got it.
Mike

Well Gus that certainly explains why you don't like it in your barn. I flew a Taylorcraft once and it was not unlike flying a sledge hammer...Dano
I can not explain what was wrong with that T craft, mine always flew like a dream.
Gus

Thanks for all the kudos and congrats guys.It was fun spending the afternoon with that guy.Farmers are great people,Ive spent more than one teenage summer working on a farm."An attempt by my Dad to keep me out of trouble".""All it really did was confirm for me I wouldnt be choosing pig farming as a career.""
The sheen on the pineapples is gun oil.The bucket really was in a barn,filled with the ord stuff and alot of cardboard and mouse house material.There was alot of stuff that was ruined by moisture and mouse gnawing.This stuff was all that was saveable.
The strange part of it all is that I never expected to run into something like this.Ive just in the last 6 months started the firing device interest,have been getting my butt kicked at auctions,and generally havent had but a little luck and help from a couple of friends picking up some nice examples.And when I met the farmer,all he said he had was one practice grenade.I almost didnt go.So you could imagine my suprise as I looked into the bucket.And yes,even today Im a little giggly about it all.
I'll say it again,farmers are great people,and thank the ordnance gods that farmers are hoarders!!!

Nice find Lou, my grandad had a bucket like that once but I was only about 10 when I remember it. God only knows where it went. I'm sure one of my cousins who since has tossed it all away got it.
Mike

Uh oh,was that a brown bucket with cow and pig poop on the outside of it? And mouse poop on the inside?

Never had a crash? You missed most of the fun:) I had been flying powered hang glider and ultralights for years when I bought my T craft, I found a fellow to help me finish my license, and we had a lot of fun. I had many emergancy landings with the 2 cycle powered aircraft, and when my instructor pulled the throttle back and told me "you engine just quit, what are you going to do?" So I landed the plane, we were about 1,000 agl and I tipped the machine up on its wingtip and dropped onto a county road so fast that he claimed I did it before he knew what was happening. I nearly did the same ting on my check ride. It sounds like the Tcraft has a bad problem.
Gus