What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Lonely War by Eric Wakeling.

SG500

Premium Member
I bought this recently and it really is one of those books you can't put down.
Highly recommended.
I like the first hand account of when he had a narrow escape with a butterfly bomb.
Dave.

IMG_4482.jpgIMG_4481.jpgIMG_4483.jpg

Great recommendation Dave....
Definately a book to read for those interested in the exploits of Bomb Disposal during WW2.
Eric Wakeling dealt with many of the butterfly bombs in the aftermath of the Grimsby raid. It was his accounts reproduced, amongst others, in a local paper 'Grimsby Telegraph' that fed my interest in the butterfly bombs. My initial interest being sparked by the episode 'Butterfly Winter' in the TV series 'Danger UXB'.
It seems amazing to me that someone like Eric should lay his life on the line so often and yet not be awarded any form of recognition for his services. Bomb disposal were not even entitled to the 1939-45 Star medal.......unbelievable. Of course Eric was not alone, and I am sure there are many even today whos exploits go unoticed by many. Hats off to all, I say!! huge respect.

regards Kev