What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The weekend shopping

Millsman

Premium Member
Just got back from France and thought you may be interested in the latest purchases.

3 Nicely restored Mills No 5's
1 Nicely restored Mills No 23 Mk I
1 Kugal with fuze
4 Egg grenades with Fuzes (three showing original paint)
1 No 22 Mk 1 Rifle grenade
1 relic No 35 Rifle grenade
1 French Ball grenade
1 No 15 grenade
1 German 'Inkpot' Cup grenade 1917
1 French Citroen grenade.

I certainly beats going to the supermarket.

John

Attachments

• SSCN3163.JPG
    SSCN3163.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 94
  • SSCN3164.JPG
    SSCN3164.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 58
I guess this begs the question 'Is it ever possible to have too many Mills grenades?' :tinysmile_shy_t:

Phlarris

You can never have too many Mills grenades!
Nice buy, that Citroen grenade looks in very good condition.

A great weekend indeed. I do not think it is possible to have too many grenades, unless you are on a boat that is sinking, kinda like the only time it is possible to have too much gas in an airplane...is when it is on the ground..and on fire.
Best wishes
Gus

A great weekend indeed. I do not think it is possible to have too many grenades, unless you are on a boat that is sinking, kinda like the only time it is possible to have too much gas in an airplane...is when it is on the ground..and on fire.
Best wishes
Gus

A man after my own heart. Made me smile!

John

Best wishes
Gus

Tell you what mate, you think like I do when I've had too much to drink. Fantastic logic!

Nice haul indeed John. It's like you got a whole collection in one fell swoop...Dano

It felt a bit like that Dano. I don't think I've ever bought as many in one go before. Certainly a few will stay in my collection. I've been after a No 22 for a while, as I like rifle grenades. The rest are duplicates to stuff in my collection apart from the Inkpot which I've not owned before.

There was a guy selling a small collection of egg grenades and he had five with all the different fuzes including one like your very rare one. He wanted 50 euros per grenade, but would only sell the 5 together. A fair price to the two rare ones pehaps, but way over price for the three common types.

John

INCREDIBLE! Absolutely incredible.
Very nice finds there John, well done. :top:

How about telling us where you shop?
...Marks & Sparks, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Harrods??

A shopping spree like that just can't be accomplished on this side of the pond (Canada). Hmmm... I feel like emigrating to England and becoming a professional shopper.

Phlarris, to answer your question.... You can never have too many Mills!
No two Mills are the same and each one tells a different story.

Typically, you start off with one Mills (unless you're John, then you start off with 3 or 4 after a weekend of shopping). They you find an empty crate and just have to get 12 Mills to fill a crate. Then you find out that there are different types of crates. You start collecting crates and naturally, you have to fill each one. Then you find out that there are different versions of Mills, different makers, different base plugs, different center pieces, different strikers, different levers, different filler plugs, different pull rings, etc. I won't even start will all the accessories!
Then, you wake-up one morning and realize that your "little collection" isn't that little. This realization is usually right around the same time your wife (girlfriend, etc.) wants to redecorate the room you're keeping your collection in.

The real question is...
Are there different types of springs?

Well done John!

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited:
It felt a bit like that Dano. I don't think I've ever bought as many in one go before. Certainly a few will stay in my collection. I've been after a No 22 for a while, as I like rifle grenades. The rest are duplicates to stuff in my collection apart from the Inkpot which I've not owned before.

There was a guy selling a small collection of egg grenades and he had five with all the different fuzes including one like your very rare one. He wanted 50 euros per grenade, but would only sell the 5 together. A fair price to the two rare ones pehaps, but way over price for the three common types.

John
John, I cannot fathom all that stuff together at one time, would be a life dream of mine to get to France on a shopping trip such as that. would also have to visit some battlesites as well. You did good. Over here that m1916 percussion igniter is worth damn near what he wanted for the complete egg set. Making it to France some day is up there on mt "bucket list". I read stories like these and am left in total AWE. On this side of pond of course these things just don't happen but the next best thing has got to be reading about them. Collecting over here is an expensive proposition. WOW. I guess I could stow away on a ship and go to France as at this point that would be the only way I could afford it. I do so enjoy the stories that I get to read, just would love to live it someday. A collection such as you brought back would be worth a small fortune in these parts. I would be hard pressed to say I wasn't just a little envious. If I were in France it just boggles my mind the collection I could build not to mention the absolute blast I would have building it. But instead of sobbing in my beer I press on, try to find as good a bargain as I can and still enjoy every minute of it. Life is good my friend. With high regards....Dano

Last edited:
INCREDIBLE! Absolutely incredible.
Very nice finds there John, well done. :top:

How about telling us where you shop?
...Marks & Sparks, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Harrods??

The real question is...
Are there different types of springs?

Hi Brad

It was just a mixture of stuff I had pre-ordered from a friend in France (Mills / eggs & Kugal) and the rest was from the Military fair in Amiens. Always a good place to go, though many prices were sky high. Luckily I bought all the grenades there from someone whose prices were low. A new seller who I don't think was fully aware of what others were charging.

Re the springs - No I don't think so. I've found very minor differences in length but put that down to how long they may have been compressed / uncompressed. I think they were all made the same.

John

If I were in France it just boggles my mind the collection I could build not to mention the absolute blast I would have building it. But instead of sobbing in my beer I press on, try to find as good a bargain as I can and still enjoy every minute of it. Life is good my friend. With high regards....Dano

Hi Dano. If you an get over I'll certainly show you a few things.

I do understand that many WW1 artefacts are still cheaper in the US (Like German helmets) as many more were sent back to the US than were kept in the UK or Europe. Also the Doughboys were great souvenir collectors and brought home far more than the UK soldiers were allowed to. So maybe I'll come over there and buy some things to.

Life always has a way of bringing you down. After the fair in Amiens I drove up to the Somme front line feeling very happy with my purchases. I went for a walk in my favourite area. Ulster Tower, Mills Road Cemetery and down to the river Ancre. Half way through the walk the heavens opened and I returned to my car completely soaked through. I was wet for hours afterwards. The trip was worth it!

John