What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wipers Times

Last weekend my wife and I went Christmas shopping and I noticed a new book on sale. I believe it was entitled `The Wipers Times' and it contained many if not all editions of the Wipers Times. Bless her, she has bought it for me for Christmas.

Was this a copy of the red book with a forward by Ian Hislop or a different book?

I have a copy of the red book, ISBN 1 904435 60 2. It is a good book.

Was this a copy of the red book with a forward by Ian Hislop or a different book?

I don't yet know - my wife has hidden it - I won't be able to tell you until after Christmas.

Found it - she hadn't hidden it after all. No, this book has a yellow cover and is not introduced by Ian Hislop. The ISBN is 9781844862337. The contents page lists 23 editions, variously under Wipers, New Church, Kemmel, Somme, BEF and Better Times. How many editions does your book have? There is a small piece on the spine of the book: Questions a platoon commander should ask himself, 1. Am I as offensive as I might be? I love the gentle, wry humour of the time.

Mine has 23 editions as well, with notes, glossary etc afterwards.

Sounds similar. It is a good book you can pick up and dip into.