What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thiel Clockwork fuzes/Werkschutz PPK

hothmobile

I have grown a small collection of time unit fuzes made by the Gebr. Thiel GmbH company during the war. They were located in Thuringia. What made me track these down is that I own a werkschutz Walther PPk pistol issued to one of the factories. Specifically, the pistol came from the State run Muhlhausen factory.

On the left is an illumination fuze that is marked by the Ruhla/Seebach code hhj.
The minty looking artillery round on the right is from the actual Muhlhausen state funded factory which was 32 miles away from the original Thiel factory in Ruhla/Seebach. The muhlhausen factory code for this division of Thiel company is dlr.
After corresponding with Michael Hiedler, and the help of his great factory code book, we were able to surmise that the Thiel factory in Muhlhausen was listed under the name Gertebau GmbH which was created by the Reichswehr.

The brass time units still tick!!! I had to have a winding key made as you can see in the picture so I can watch the time units in action. (don't worry, there is no detonator left)

In doing research on Thiel, I made a great pen pal friend in the UK who located the Muhlhausen artillery round fuze marked "dlr". It's the only one he's seen and it came in the original container still packed with a waxy material. It looks like it just came off the lathe. Being the only Muhlhausen factory coded Thiel fuze he's ever seen, He was kind enough to remove it from his collection and sell it to me even though he liked it because he believe it had been sabotaged. (we have not determined that as concrete). Thank you CLIVE!!

close ups of the fuze units. I believe the illumination round was for the navy and it has a different acceptance markings (including an extra one) than the artillery round.

the dlr marked artillery round fuze has only one acceptance marking but then a strange 3 digit/letter code.

now the werkschutz ppk, marked by the Thiel logo with an "M" and inventory number. "M" indicating the Muhlhausen factory. Possibly surrendered to a member of the 6th armored division as that is the division that secured Mulhausen, and 6 days later, Buchenwald in April of 45.

the finger extension magazine is the rare transitional solid brown but with side cut-outs.

the present day remains of the Thiel managed Muhlhausen factory. (Gertebau GmbH)
I have found two books that write about the factory, but they are in German and I have not received them yet. If anyone has information on the Gertebau GmbH factory, especially period photos, please PM me!!

I am having difficulty in establishing basic facts about Gertebau GmbH. The photographer who took these photos and posted them on the internet says the factory was a "hidden arms operation". Which, by the way it looks like it's in the middle of the woods, makes sense. However, the factory was started in 1937. So why would they already know to hide it then? Or, was this photographed site, just an off branch part after the start of the war? (and the start of using forced labor which according to the two german book, they do)

here is a link to where I found one of the photographs and info
[ame="http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ger%C3%A4tebau_GmbH"]Gerätebau GmbH – Wikipedia[/ame]

the other photo was taking a year or two earlier. 2005 to 2006

wanted to bump this to find out more information if anyone has? Or if there are any parachute fuzes out there?

I really need period photos of the Muhlhausen factory for research please.

wanted to bump this to find out more information if anyone has? Or if there are any parachute fuzes out there?

I really need period photos of the Muhlhausen factory for research please.

Hi hoth,
Parachute fuzes squire?
will that be the FZ30,60, or 90 matey?

cheers

waff

The FZ 60, they were made by Thiel.

do you have one for sale?

fuzes from WWII are impossible to find in USA. so I have to rely on other sources.

sorry matey,its ages ago since i sold my spare.
i will keep an eye out for you though as they do still come up occasionally.

best

waff

I wanted to see if anyone has more information on Mulhausen Thiel factory or parachute fuzes?

Here are the only period photos of the hidden factory at Muhlhausen I've ever found. These are crappy quality. wish I had the original published article.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: