What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thin Edge of the wedge Ebay Selling

Gspragge

Premium Member

This will spread and I bet the selling requirements will get lower and lower.
They are going to ask other sites for information as well. :tinysmile_cry_t2:

EBay sellers warned to pay taxes

Last Updated: Thursday, July 30, 2009 | 3:37 PM ET

CBC News

Money earned online with auction sites such as eBay is taxable just like regular income, Canada's minister of national revenue said Thursday.
"Taxpayers should know that the tax laws that apply to traditional commerce apply in the same way to electronic commerce, like eBay selling," Jean-Pierre Blackburn said Thursday.
"I strongly encourage eBay sellers, and for that matter, any taxpayer who has not already done so, to correct their tax affairs as soon as possible to avoid penalties or prosecution."
In 2007, a Federal Court of Canada decision required eBay Canada to provide tax officials with the full account information on their sellers, including their names, user IDs, mailing addresses, billing addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.
The Court of Appeal upheld that decision in April 2008 and as a result, in November eBay Canada began providing the Canada Revenue Agency with the names of eBay sellers who earned more than $1,000 a month for three straight months, as well as their contact information and sales records.
The tax agency can use the information to determine if eBay sellers properly reported the income they earned from sales. If the body determines that an individual or a business did not comply with the tax laws, it will take any necessary action, it warned.
In addition to paying any outstanding taxes, plus interest, consequences may include penalties, as well as legal actions that could result in fines and other imposed sanctions, the agency said in a release.
No penalty for voluntary disclosure

"To avoid paying these fines and penalties, taxpayers who have failed to file income tax returns for past years or who have not reported all their income can voluntarily correct their tax situation," Blackburn said.
Under the voluntary disclosures program, taxpayers who take the initiative to correct or disclose any information will not be penalized or prosecuted if they make a full disclosure before the CRA starts any audit or other compliance action.
The agency expects that the audits, based on the information received from eBay, will begin at the end of this summer.

Doh

Well Gordon, I guess it was just a matter of time. Too much money exchanging hands for the government not to get their pecker in it. Here in U.S. a waitress has to pay a percentage of her income to account for "tip" income, and it matters not if she makes less tips than they charge her in taxes because the government thinks it best. I like to use the waitress as an example because they generally aren't even paid minimum wage because of their tip income. Pisses me off because a tip is a "gift" for getting good service. I figured this would eventually happen with the auction sites. Free enterprise takes another projectile in the "poop chute". Okay i'm better now, think i'm gonna get drunk..Dano

tax

Hey easy on the booze Dano, (in the UK) you're paying tax on it and tax on what you earned to buy it. They get you twice. Cheers
2pr

Hmm,, Mulitple e-bay accounts,usernames and paypal accounts , cash only
it is then. who can prove cash has changed hands ??
Don't get me started pleeeeese.

:) Nick

Hmm,, Mulitple e-bay accounts,usernames and paypal accounts , cash only
it is then. who can prove cash has changed hands ??
Don't get me started pleeeeese.

:) Nick

Sounds like e-gun Jeeensy! lol ;) but without paypal accounts...

W