What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thing!

ydnum303

Hi All,Thing 1.jpegThing 2.jpegThing 3.jpegCan anyone tell me what this object is, please?
It is 71mm long overall, has a maximum diameter of 29mm, and is fitted with rubber O-rings at top and bottom. It is stencilled "C.E.R.U.(R)NO 303 MK ? [last figure rubbed away] 004 CY 8 -87", and the top is stamped FHS 1/1 12K/96 69453.
I have not seen anything like it before. Some sort of release unit? What does it go in? Who made it? How does it operate?
Any information gratefully received.
Thanks in advance,
Roger.

Cartridge, Ejection Release Unit. FHS is more than likely the manufacturer - unknown to me. Filled by ROF Chorley in 87. It's an RAF store - vocab number 12/K96 69453.

Used for separating wing borne stores from their carrier and out of the wing's slipstream.

TimG

Cartridge, Ejection Release Unit. FHS is more than likely the manufacturer - unknown to me. Filled by ROF Chorley in 87. It's an RAF store - vocab number 12/K96 69453.

Used for separating wing borne stores from their carrier and out of the wing's slipstream.

TimG
Tim,
Many thanks for this info; thought it must be some sort of release unit. Now I can hopefully find out more info on it.

Roger.

Here's a simplified drawing of a bomb release unit. Your item would go in the circular receptacles, marked at the top. One in each, of course. The gas they produced would simultaneously open the "jaws" holding the bomb to the rack and pressuring the two actuators that would thrust the weapon away from the aircraft. This last bit necessary to avoid exciting/expensive things that would occur otherwise from the slipstream acting on the weapon - like bashing into the airplane. Very interesting that this is so large. US bomb release "carts" are much smaller, like cutdown shotgun shells.

Attachments

• Bomb Rel Unit simplified.jpg
    Bomb Rel Unit simplified.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 15
Here's a simplified drawing of a bomb release unit. Your item would go in the circular receptacles, marked at the top. One in each, of course. The gas they produced would simultaneously open the "jaws" holding the bomb to the rack and pressuring the two actuators that would thrust the weapon away from the aircraft. This last bit necessary to avoid exciting/expensive things that would occur otherwise from the slipstream acting on the weapon - like bashing into the airplane. Very interesting that this is so large. US bomb release "carts" are much smaller, like cutdown shotgun shells.
Many thanks for this, Weasel Pilot. It all adds to the info I have.

Roger.

Here's some more detail. Roger, take a look at the internal of the breech cap assembly, which appears to mirror the base of your cartridge.
IMG_1146.jpgIMG_1147.jpgIMG_1149.jpgIMG_1150.jpgIMG_1151.jpg

To give an idea of some of the forces involved (bear in mind the minimum weight of the bomb was a 1,000lb). -

"Worked on design of the rotating bomb bay for the Buccaneer to house one nuclear weapon.
Imagine my surprise when one morning, as I was sharpening my old fashioned pencil, I was approached by one of the Aerodynamicists (who was also a woman). She explained that they were having a problem with the bomb bay in flying trials. As the Buccaneer approached its target at very low level the rotating bay doors would open and the aircraft would do a sharp climbing turn so that the bomb would in effect be thrown out of the plane towards the target. This maneuver would also allow the plane to escape quickly to a safe distance from the subsequent blast.

But it didn't. On release the bomb stuck in the bomb bay because of the suction caused by the big empty volume of the bomb bay (simply put). Apparently this could be quite a worry - especially to the aircrew....".

Taken from - https://74th.co.uk/design/designwork.html

TimG

Here's some more detail. Roger, take a look at the internal of the breech cap assembly, which appears to mirror the base of your cartridge.
View attachment 195327View attachment 195328View attachment 195329View attachment 195330View attachment 195331

To give an idea of some of the forces involved (bear in mind the minimum weight of the bomb was a 1,000lb). -

"Worked on design of the rotating bomb bay for the Buccaneer to house one nuclear weapon.
Imagine my surprise when one morning, as I was sharpening my old fashioned pencil, I was approached by one of the Aerodynamicists (who was also a woman). She explained that they were having a problem with the bomb bay in flying trials. As the Buccaneer approached its target at very low level the rotating bay doors would open and the aircraft would do a sharp climbing turn so that the bomb would in effect be thrown out of the plane towards the target. This maneuver would also allow the plane to escape quickly to a safe distance from the subsequent blast.

But it didn't. On release the bomb stuck in the bomb bay because of the suction caused by the big empty volume of the bomb bay (simply put). Apparently this could be quite a worry - especially to the aircrew....".

Taken from - https://74th.co.uk/design/designwork.html

TimG
Thanks for this, Tim. Very interesting.

Roger.