What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thought I'd give it a go!!

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I've never attempted a cutaway before, but having looked through the posts and having seen the results I thought I'd give it a go. Inspired by the likes of Spotter and Satan 18, to mention but two,(thanks guys), I bought some new hacksaw blades and set to work. I think the first cut is the worst, 'What am I doing??' was my first thought, but as work progresses and confidence builds it is quite exhilerating! There is some excellent advice in previous posts for any would be cutaway virgins like myself, but having done one I think I have the bug.
I attempted where possible to leave markings intact.
So here we have it my first attempt, I am pleased with the results, so I thought I would share it with you all,
Kev

HPIM4760.jpgHPIM4755.jpgHPIM4756.jpgHPIM4757.jpgHPIM4759.jpg

First attempt ,,thats fantastic cant wait to see any others you may do in the future

:tinysmile_shy_t:Very nice, it clearly shows the functioning of the fuze , including the anti disturbance mechanism. Not bad at all for a first time.

Bravo Squire!
I like it a lot. :)
I shall wangle one of these 67's your way soon for you to work on.

best

waff

Very good Kev, I'm well impressed.
How long did that take??!
Dave.

Thank you guys for all your messages, very kind of you.
Especially look forward to that 67 to work on, could be my next project!!cheers for that waff.
As for time scale Dave, it took me the best part of last weekend, though thats not strictly true, as I already had the fuze stripped, just needed to be brave to make that initial cut!! I am pleased with the result, especially as the setting plug turns to depress the detent!! This action you can only see in a cutaway!!
Regards and best wishes to all
Kev

Thank you guys for all your messages, very kind of you.
Especially look forward to that 67 to work on, could be my next project!!cheers for that waff.
As for time scale Dave, it took me the best part of last weekend, though thats not strictly true, as I already had the fuze stripped, just needed to be brave to make that initial cut!! I am pleased with the result, especially as the setting plug turns to depress the detent!! This action you can only see in a cutaway!!
Regards and best wishes to all
Kev

Nice one Kev
It looks as if you selected a very nice fuse for your first attempt,and it
has paid off:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
It does kinda get you into sectioning as i am working on one now,to go in a sectioned bomb charge.

Best phil

Nice one Kev
It looks as if you selected a very nice fuse for your first attempt,and it
has paid off:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
It does kinda get you into sectioning as i am working on one now,to go in a sectioned bomb charge.

Best phil

Thanks phil,
Yes the fuze was in resonable condition, but one of the more common butterfly fuzes, it helped that it completely stripped. I have to say the gears came rattling around loose within the very first SD2 I bought, had no idea at that time how they went together or even if they belonged to it. I now have much better knowledge and figure they are much better used where they can be appreciated. The gears from the fuze I stripped were a little the worse for wear, to say the least. Its nice to see the thing work, though all too brief in a 41!! blink and you miss it.
regards
Kev.