What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts...?

Jolly Green

I picked this up a while back. I know what it is but not much else. The only one I've seen.
US M8 Incendiary
Has M200A1 fuze.
Holes on top.
Inert of course.
Possible age?
Anything else?

51960.jpg

It is the older paint scheme as far back as WWII. The 1969 Grenade manual shows it with your color code, labeled as an old color code. The 1971 grenade manual only lists the new color red with black markings, so yours was made before 1969 when the new color code was already adopted.

It will burn through 1/2 inch thick steel plate.

It looks very nice!

Last edited:
Many of the books say that they will burn through heavy steel plate, but in practice much of the heat is reflected and you don't always get as much penetration as you might like or expect. one of their main functions is to melt their own contents, effectively initiating secondary fires or welding materials together with their molten fill material. They also tend to pop and spit quite a bit, burning soldiers that like to play and get too close.

Hello

Hum... I'm perplex : is it really M8 grenade ?
It seems me M8 grenades was (only?) smoke grenades (and M14 incendiary) ?

If it has the M200A1 fuze on it it is WWII. The M200A1 fuze was the fuze used for all the chemical US grenades on WWII. Very rare grenade. I think it is the one called "Thermite" grenade.

I said M8 because thats what the seller called it.

M8 is/was the designation for the HC Smoke. I do not recall ever seeing an M8 designation on the Thermite grenade.

The designation should be AN-M14.

Someone was copying these about 15 years ago as well, it was one of the first pieces I saw done fairly well, the usual tip off was that they were too nice and too clean.

I had my doubts about it being an M8 as I have some.
So this would be an early AN-M14 then? I also have one of the red ones.
I have one of the copies US Subs speaks of too. I knew it was a copy when I got it back then but figured that would be as close as I'd ever come to getting one. Its IS nice and clean with a flat finish and no holes on the top.

I was questioning that it was correct when you mentioned that it had vent holes at the top. I didn't think the Incendiary would need vent holes, as it wasn't designed to make smoke, and it doesn't need oxygen.

Hello

I have some datasheets with and without holes.

Theses are 2 differents french doc, and a german doc where we can see holes on a AN-M14 grenade.

Attachments

• BOCN (1).jpg
    BOCN (1).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 35
  • BOCN (2).jpg
    BOCN (2).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 28
  • BOCN.jpg
    BOCN.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 35
Thanks gents! AN-M14 it is.
That makes two versions that I have. The grey & purple and the red & black.
One happy camper here!