What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three US Projectiles

Brian Keith

Here are three US projectiles I thought you guys might like to see. I don't know how commom they are, but I like them. Shown are: (Left to Right) US 1953 dated, 75mm T50E2, shown upside down becasue of it's rounded base; (center) US 1945 dated, Chemical 3 inch T13E2; and (right) 1944 dated, 3 inch M42A1. What fuze would the T50E2 and the Chemical T13E2 shell use? Thanks for looking! BKW

DSC_0008.jpgDSC_0007.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0009.jpg

All very nice projectiles! The Chem projo is the most rare of the three. The T50E2 is for the 75mm Skysweeper antiaircraft gun. They had at least 2 loadings, one with a proximity fuze, and I believe one with a PD for ground use. It is in the 1950s Artillery ammo manual. The Chem projo would most likely take a PD fuze.

Does your chem projo have a liner and burster well in it?

Some info on 75mm Skysweeper here:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/75363-90mm-T91-HE-tank-round...?highlight=Skysweeper

Last edited:
Brian, The T50E2 was developed for the "Sky Sweeper" radar directed anti aircraft gun and should have a VT fuze with it, though I don't know what M number it should be. The T13E2, with that date, should have a M57 PD fuze. The M57 was developed specifically for "Chemical" type munitions in that it didn't have a delay option, nor an impact inertia back up. Since they didn't want the chemical or white phosphorous round to bury itself in the ground and waste the payload, they did away with all the frills of the M48/M51 with their SQ/Delay options and went strictly with the Super Quick only. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

Haz beat me since I had to go change out laundry.

Hazord and Bruce, Great info! Thanks! I'll put those fuzes on my "need" list! THe base of the AA projectile is pretty unusual.
Attached is a photo of the interior of the T50E2 and the M42A1, I suppose it is the "liner and buster well" you mention Hazord. The diameter is different.

DSC_0002.jpg

Brian,

Yes, the photo you have shown of the Chem projo does show the adaptor and burster well. I scanned the data sheets on the Skysweeper round from the manual. You can see there are a lot of options for a proper fuze for your projectile.

Attachments

• Data 1.jpg
    Data 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Data 2.jpg
    Data 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Data 3.jpg
    Data 3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Data 4.jpg
    Data 4.jpg