What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Totally not ordnance related couldnt resist

satan18

Once again i think i have bitten of more than i can chew but couldnt let this one go.

Hear is a 1969 1600 GT XLR that has had one owner in its life and has very little rust.

It needs a pair of arches and a front valance repair+ some odd scabby bits
sorting out.

The white viynl roof is home made as the old boy that owned it worked for rolls royce as a vehicle trimmer.

Last on the road in 1989 and in need of a service and brakes overhall
this is probably one of the earliest capri mk1s on the road and i know for a fact it is one of about 8 left that is complete.

This should be Amber gold throughout with a matt black bonnet and black
viynl roof.

The interior is absolutely mint and full GT spec.

This will be another Resto for keeps.

Attachments

• 1600 GT XLR.jpg
    1600 GT XLR.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 1600 GT XLR 1.jpg
    1600 GT XLR 1.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 1600 GT XLR 2.jpg
    1600 GT XLR 2.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 75
Ford Capri,

Ahhhh,the purr of a pinto,nice one satan1800,a keeper for sure,
Regards,Don,

Seems strange, The ones in the states carried the Mercury name tag and we did not get them until 1971. Great find Phil. Are the front fenders welded on as they were in the US? You're going to be busy my friend...Dano

Ahhhh,the purr of a pinto,nice one satan1800,a keeper for sure,
Regards,Don,

Hi Don

Yes couldnt agree more about the pinto but this has a Kent crossflow engine which was in capris until 1973,a realy bullit proof engine.

Best phil

For my 1000th post all i can say you are a lucky bugger, a great find and i know you will look after this one.
Great find bud, ime envious.
BX still going great guns, especially on this new Shell fuel.

Best wishes.

Andy

Hi Phil,

I had the second model capri,would that have had the pinto in it,?i know it was 1600 and went like the proverbial,that one you have there is a real collectors piece,better stock up on the midnight oil,
Regards,Don,

Seems strange, The ones in the states carried the Mercury name tag and we did not get them until 1971. Great find Phil. Are the front fenders welded on as they were in the US? You're going to be busy my friend...Dano

Hi Dano

Strangely enough the original capri obviously based on the legend the Mustang was Made in the UK in March 1969,and built in Dagenham,and Halewood in the UK.

Fords of Europe built them aswell at the same time which by then with the growing prices of oil world wide Fords USA decided to unleash there version of the capri as you know it as the Mercury capri.

With all the tooling already set up to go all that the US needed was its own Engines and interior,which Even by US standards must have been a gamble to try and promote a European car in a predominantly (made in the US) Car market,as there were some ultimate legends grown in the states
by the late 60s.

However Fords allways made shrude decisions and the Capri was launched
Stateside in 71 and was a success in the face of all the larger engined
cars available at that time.

Identical in construction with welded and bolted fenders and a variety
of Engines.

The Uk had 1.3 litre 1.6litre 2.0 litre V4, 3.0 V6 and 3.1 V6
Even the south africans had a V8 version.

As Ever Dano
Allways a pleasure

Best phil

Last edited:
There was an earlier Capri than the one produced in 1969 and produced by Ford. All it had in similarity was the rear side window and was also known as the Capri. A well collectable car now.

Andy

For my 1000th post all i can say you are a lucky bugger, a great find and i know you will look after this one.
Great find bud, ime envious.
BX still going great guns, especially on this new Shell fuel.

Best wishes.

Andy

Hi Andy
I actually set of today to veiw and buy a 3000E but when i saw this there was no comparison as everything just works fine and when the buff log book came out to that done it for me.
I have heard a lot about the new shell fuel but its a lot more expensive
i believe,what chances do i have do you think of breathing life into 27 year old 4 star:tinysmile_twink_t:,i reckon you could pour it onto waffles myself

Best phil

Well done again bud, ime sure you will cherish the car, i know i would.

As for the new Shell fuel, its zackly the same price as the old stuff, thats what is so suprising.

Best wishes

Andy

Hi Don

Yes couldnt agree more about the pinto but this has a Kent crossflow engine which was in capris until 1973,a realy bullit proof engine.

Best phil
Hi Phil, This Kent crossflow engine, is it a Ford engine? I am not familiar with it as I guess we never got that engine in the U.S. Is it OHC? Just curious as i've been around engines most my life and have not heard of this one. Would appreciate any information you could provide...Dano

I had the second model capri,would that have had the pinto in it,?i know it was 1600 and went like the proverbial,that one you have there is a real collectors piece,better stock up on the midnight oil,
Regards,Don,

Hi Don

Game plans being made already and sounds like you had the facelift capri with the bonnet bulge which set the standards for all capris till end of manufacture.

Happy days

phil

There was an earlier Capri than the one produced in 1969 and produced by Ford. All it had in similarity was the rear side window and was also known as the Capri. A well collectable car now.

Andy

Hi
Yes this was more than likely the pre production car that was just evolved
from the mustang which had enormous c posts at the rear which had no windows in the side rear quarters but had the front end of the Capri we know.

Best phil

Hi Phil, This Kent crossflow engine, is it a Ford engine? I am not familiar with it as I guess we never got that engine in the U.S. Is it OHC? Just curious as i've been around engines most my life and have not heard of this one. Would appreciate any information you could provide...Dano

Hi Dano

The Kent crossflow was an inline 4 cylinder engine Overhead valve
that developed about 88 BHP.

It was available in 1.3 litre and 1.6 litre.

Attachments

• ukeengine.jpg
    ukeengine.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5

Andy

Hi Andy
My mistake it was called the Capri classic and was made from about 62 to
67 and is sought after now.

Best phil

Thanks for the info. Phil. In the US the earlier Capri's had a 1.6L standard but not crossflow OHV, and optional 2.0L OHC and also a 2.6L 60 degree short stroke V6...Dano

Last edited: