What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Translation of Box Date Codes-Kynoch, Dominion, Western/Olin, UMC/Remington/Peters

Lewis

Many cartridge boxes, particularly commercial boxes have a Date Code stamped on the bottom or side or inside the end flaps which identifies the day, month and year the cartridges were produced. These box codes are invaluable to a lot of research. Martin Golland and members of the British ECRA group broke the Eley/Kynoch code some time ago and that has appeard in the IAA Journal. The Dominion code through 1976 has appeared in the IAA Journal and this year the IAA Journal published the Remington codes through 1966.

Members of the IAA Forum and others have contributed information and we now have extended the Remington codes through 2009, and it looks like we are making progress on the IVI codes introduced in 1976. More complicated was figuring out the Western codes that became, under the Olin Corporation, the Winchester codes post 1957.

I have posted the results of this research on my website at http://gigconceptsinc.com/ in a format that illustrates the box styles (mostly in 9mm Parabellum of course) and provides a simple approach to decipher the box code, look up the year of manufacture and in most cases (except for Remington) figure out the day of manufacture.

Those of you interested in cartridge boxes should take a look at this material. I am particularly interested in any added information you may be able to contribute to help this project along.

I would like to break the DWM codes and have collected some of them but they are frankly beyond me right now, or perhaps I don't have enough codes. Is there anyone out there who would like to work with us on the DWM codes, or better yet, take the lead in this project. There must be a document out there somewhere that provides a place to start.

Cheers to all the members of the bocn and Merry Christmas,

Lew