What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transverse (Centre) Cast No5 New additions to collection

It is indeed lathe cut.

Also, lovely collection you have there Dave. I now have 3 centre casts I've acquired. I'll get a pic of them uploaded as soon as I get out of this wretched bloody hotel my employer keeps deeming fit to stick me in!

It looks the same as a standard side cast to me. Lol

The facets are too sharp to have simply come from a mould. Also, there are slight irregularities in the length of some of the groves which infer being finished by hand, and inside the groves themselves there are cut lines consistent with those found on centre casts.
lm sure this will stir up some debate and maybe some more knowledgable members can chip in, but stood next to all my other 'standard' No5's, this one is indeed different by virtue of its very defined appearance.
Maybe someone else has pictures of a similar one they can post?
Regards

OK Guy's hopefully i can explain the difference's
The center casts are cast with the joint in the middle of the body running around the center as the first picture of two examples of unfinished castings i have
HPIM7552.jpg HPIM7553.jpg HPIM7554.jpg HPIM7555.jpg

These 2 pictures are of the body's when the groove is cut running around the body's using a lathe, hope this helps,,,,, Dave

HPIM7556.jpg HPIM7557.jpg

I understand the differences between a side and centre cast. I have one of each. It is the side cast lathe finish that I was unaware of and can not see any real differences to my standard No 5.

I understand the differences between a side and centre cast. I have one of each. It is the side cast lathe finish that I was unaware of and can not see any real differences to my standard No 5.

It is likely the case that grenade was simply re-finished using a lathe, meaning, it came out of a moulded casting and was then hand finished using a lathe. The difference is subtle, I agree, but having scrutinised it all evening against my other No5's, the difference is clear. It clearly has cut lines (groves) which are sharper and well defined whereas the others I have do not, except the factory sectioned and nickelled CAV No5 that I also have which has obviously had the frag pattern enhanced by lathe work.

Id be interested to know if anyone is aware that with some makers, this finishing process was practised, because it appears from this example that it was. The grenade also appears unfettled in so much as it looks to still have its original shelack coating still intact, although a little worn as would be expected. Personally I think it's a rare and special example. I've not seen another quite like it, and I've seen plenty.

Ill try and get some pics uploaded tomorrow for you to see.

OK Guy's hopefully i can explain the difference's
The center casts are cast with the joint in the middle of the body running around the center as the first picture of two examples of unfinished castings i have
View attachment 67158 View attachment 67159 View attachment 67160 View attachment 67161

These 2 pictures are of the body's when the groove is cut running around the body's using a lathe, hope this helps,,,,, Dave

View attachment 67162 View attachment 67163

Excellent thread guys, you learn something new every day!!!

Dave, first of all thanks for making things a little clearer to a non-mills collector. Now I have a question for you....

You show some unfinished bodies in your photos, do you know why these were unfinished, are there obvious defects in the castings that prevented them being used??

regards Kev

DSC02726.jpgDSC02730.jpgDSC02729.jpgDSC02728.jpgDSC02731.jpgDSC02725.jpgDSC02724.jpg

Ok Guys, firstly, here are some pictures of the 'lathe cut Non-centre cast' No5 grenade by itself.

I've done the best I can with these pictures so bear with me.

Once I've uploaded this reply, I will then upload a second set of pictures below with it stood next to other No5's in my collection and stood next to a centre cast itself.

Remember, its not the pattern of the cut your looking for, but the depth and the sharpness of the groves which give it away, which will be more obvious (I hope) in the next set of pictures below this.

Cheers

Now, here are another set of pictures with the same grenade stood next to others by way of comparison.

The sectioned and nickelled CAV No5 in a few of the pics has been refinished on a lathe at manufacture to enhance the groves and bring out the frag pattern.

Also, looking around the top of the lathed grenade in question here, there is clearly a more defined ridge from the top 'cap' area as it were prior to where the groves in the main body start.

In the last picture, where it is stood next to a centre-cast, it is also possible to see what look like very fine striations in the facet surfaces of the metal peeking through the shellac coating. This is not present on any of the other grenades I have and gives away the fact the grenade was re-finished after it came out of the casting mould in some way.

In summary, it is unusual to see a No5 with this level of detail to finish it seems.

PS...please can I have my membership status changed....I have paid up after all :)

Thanks

Mike

DSC02727.jpgDSC02722.jpgDSC02735.jpgDSC02733.jpgDSC02734.jpgDSC02732.jpgDSC02744.jpg

Thanks again Missileman, the photos are great and show it all.
I understand now.
Dave.

Excellent thread guys, you learn something new every day!!!

Dave, first of all thanks for making things a little clearer to a non-mills collector. Now I have a question for you....

You show some unfinished bodies in your photos, do you know why these were unfinished, are there obvious defects in the castings that prevented them being used??

regards Kev

Hi Kev,
There is no real bad defects i can find on either of them, some slight pitting on the slim one thats about all, just left over i suppose, the gibbons spring examples i have are different things all together, major defects can be easily seen,,,,,, Dave