What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trench shell lantern?

navyman

Hello,
I received this yesterday and am hoping to find some information about it. The case has been roughly beaten out at the neck, I dont know the headstamp but guess that 5-15 may be May 1915? The projectile looks as though it hasn't fully disintegrated, hence the handy hole for a shaded light. There is the mangled remains of a brass fuse/primer in the lower part of the, (approx), 37mm projectile. The primer pocket has been soldered so that Oil,Fat, etc wont leak. Naturally I had to try it, good job I stood it in an ashtray as the soldering needs a little attention and there was a slight paraffin leak. I'll attatch pictures of the experiment.
Any info gratefully accepted.
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• L 1a.jpg
    L 1a.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 57
  • L 2a.jpg
    L 2a.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 60
  • L 3a.jpg
    L 3a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 54
  • L 4a.jpg
    L 4a.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 48
  • L 5a.JPG
    L 5a.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 36
this could be the same round as in the other thread !

this could be the same Gruson round as in the other thread as trench art into an oil lamp !!
nice item

best regards David

Hello Dano & David,
I like the lantern too. Can anyone give me some information on the Gruson round, I've not heard of them? The headstamp on the case reads; U.M.C. Co., 5 -15, two diamonds with a dot above and below, L2
Best regards,
navyman.