What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to identify large solid fuel booster for missile/rocket/re-entry vehicle......

condor

Hello all, I have a large solid-fuel rocket motor that I am trying to identify, which is proving rather difficult. It is 11 feet long (134 inches), 16.25 inches in diameter (motor only, not the mounting bracketry), and the internal diameter of the threaded hole for the igniter in the head is 6 inches. It is expended and weighs around 800 pounds. I believe it might be one of the stages of the solid-fuel rocket booster from one of the USA's past ICBM's. The nozzle is canted off center several degrees, which leads me to believe that it would have been used in tandem with another booster, or possibly even three more, as four nozzle designs have been used. If anyone knows, and can pass along any information, it would really be appreciated. Or, if you can think of another place I might be able to get some info, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!

20230702_123612.jpg20230702_123648.jpg20230702_123706.jpg20230702_123725.jpg20230702_123732.jpg20230702_123748.jpg20230702_184051.jpg20230702_184233.jpg20230702_184347.jpg

I think you are definitely onto something there. While scouring the internet, I did come across photos of the testing done with the F104, but the pics I saw didn't look like the one I have. I didn't think to look on youtube to see what else might be out there on the subject. Considering that it was experimental, I've sure there were several iterations and variations of boosters that were tested. Further supporting your suspensions, is the bracketry that is welded to the booster (as well as the 180° orientation of the bracketry in relation to the direction that the nozzle is pointing). Additional support that it might have been a developmental model used for testing, are the trunnions that are clamped around the OD of the booster. I can see these trunnions coming in very handy for some sled tests.

To answer your question, the threads are standard (16-tpi).

With additional research, I have abandoned my original ICBM hypothesis. I was starting to think it was an exterior-mounted booster for one of the early US cruise missiles, such as the Loon, Snark, or possibly the Regulus II. A lot of testing was done by Aerojet General and Rocketdyne (now merged as Aerojet-Rocketdyne) on these solid-fueled rocket boosters.

I think you're path looks to be the best.

So far, the only markings that I have been able to find is the number "13" that is on the head of the booster, directly next to the threaded igniter hole. I will keep a sharp eye out for additional markings after it has been sandblasted and painted.

Thank you again for the input!!