What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turkish 7.5cm case

AndyD

Can anyone tell me the correct length of the shell case (dated 1905) for the WW1 Turkish 7.5cm shrapnel round please,and also how much they sell for?

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited:
75x118R for the Krupp Mountain gun or 75x278R for Krupp field guns. The cases mostly made by german or austrian manufacturers (Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe (DWM) or Berndorf), sometimes with arabic signs on the primers.

If you have a shrapnell, can you post a photo? Would be really nice, as it is one of my "special interests" :)

About prices I don't know as they nearly never sell. And if they sell, most sellers don't know about turkish relation as they look german...

I sold a 75 x 118R case made by R.h.M.F. DUSSELDORF at Bisley last year. This case had a small arabic stamp on it.

My friend has a German made 278mm long 75mm case for sale if you are interested. I will check it for Turkish markings next time I am at his house.

631.jpg631.jpgacidentaly loaded the photo twice, but here are mine, the one on the left is original paint, shrapnel with steel balls, the others restored. Cases are German, Austrian and Italian with Turkish marked primers.

The case measures 75 x 128,dated 1905,manufactured by BERNDORF.
It is the primer that has the Turkish marking for 7.5

Cheers,
Andy

Incredible collection! Doest the left case has a steel base? If yes, it would be nice to see the headstamp :) Do you have any other turkish material?

@Andy: I think your case is a 75x129R for the austrian Skoda 7,5 cm M.15 Mountain Gun. These guns were also used by the turkish army. I don't know which projectiles they used but I think they are the same ones as the autro-hungarian army used. The Skoda cases can be clearly identified because of the large flash tube inside (but only in cases made in Austria, the german "FN" made cases don't have the flash tube).

Does you cases have an export headstamp with case number or does it have an official austrian headstamp with austrian acceptance mark?

Last edited:
Thanks Alpini.
Does anyone know which projectile was used with this case please?
Also, a valuation of the case if possible,it's for a friend who found it in his fathers things?

Cheers,
Andy

The case is marked, BERNDORF at 12 o'clock and 1905 at 6 o'clock.
The primer is marked with the Turkish for 7.5,no other markings anywhere.

Cheers,
Andy

OOPS!
Scrap the earlier measurements!
It's actually 75 x 275,don't know where the other measurement came from!

Then it's a 75x278R as seen on Frizzens photo. The same Krupp shrapnell shells as on Frizzens picture will fit. There must be also HE shells, but I am at the moment unsure which type it exactly is.

002.jpg010.jpg009.jpg008.jpg007.jpg006.jpg004.jpg003.jpg005.jpg011.jpgHere are my three 75mm Skoda Howitzer rounds, two shrapnel and one Explosive. One of the Shrapnel and the Explosive type have been restored but I left the third alone as it has lots of character. None of these cases have Turkish marked primers but the two shrapnel have Turkish fuzes. The other four headstamps with the labels marked T-1, T-3, T-6 and T-8 go to the 75 x 275 field gun shrapnel rounds I posted a photo of earlier in this thread. The steel based case is not Turkish marked but came with the shell with original paint and I feel it is correct to this projectile. The Others, German, Austrian and Italian have the Turkish primers. I have never seen or heard of an HE projectile for the field gun but it seems likely there is one.

Thanks Alpini,do you have an idea of the price my friends case sells for please?

Hi frizzen,
great stuff!!!
Could you check please, if shrapnel have a screw in the bottom?
How many rifling groove please? I have a similar shell found on Col di Lana battlefield. I will post it later.

The HE shell has austro hungarian fuze mod 75

thanks for sharing
best regards

Hello Frizzen,

your shrapnells and also the austrian shell do not belong to the cases you show. The shrapnells should have 24 grooves and belong to the Krupp gun 7,5 cm M.1880. These shrapnells and the brass or later zinc / aluminium / steel fuzes are made by Krupp / Essen and sold to turkey. These guns M.1880 used bag charges and had no cases.

Is the number on case T8 a 660? This would be very interesting. And if yes, does this case have a neck or is it one of the cases seen on your other photo?

@AndyD: I got most cases of this type for free or for a very low price around 5-25 €. If it had turish characters did not make a difference in price when I bought them. The price was only depending on the seller and if he knew which is a rare headstamp. In Belgium/France and also in south-east Europe it's a very common calibre as nearly similar guns where used by Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Turkey, Greece.

Last edited:
This Turkish fuse I just aquired last week and looks quite similar to the one on frizzens second shrapnell shell photo. Could anyone confirm the possibility of this being a post war german export of 1937. I thought the 37 as in the 2nd image to be representative of the date? Cheers, Shaky.turkish fuse 002.jpgturkish fuse 003.jpgturkish fuse 005.jpg

Hi Shaky, the number is not a date it seems to be a lot-number (on some fuzes three digits). It was manufactured during ww1 or before war. Do you have the nose cap?

Unfortunately no cap. I went to buy a couple items from an older gentleman and he asked if I wanted a 6pdr and this. Very generous of him to throw them in for free. Somebody along the way so lovingly dismantled it ! It will sit on the shelf untill it peaks somebodys interest. Thanks for the information Alpini.