What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turkish SA ammo used at Gallipoli

ozziammo

2015 is the anniversary of the Australian landing at Gallipoli, there is much to be read about the battles that raged there in 1915.

What caliber were the small arms that were used there by the Turks? My belief is that the 7.65 x 53 was the main rifle caliber, but there were also machine guns by the dozen, were these also 7.65 x 53 or were they 7.92 X 57 (or even 303B)?

I have included a couple of pics of some 7.65 ammo I have, but researching the headstamp comes up with them being adapted in 1926???

Can some one please fill in the gaps & also decipher the headstamps on the pictured ammo, as my Turkish is about as good as my Cyrillic?

PS: searched & found a thread from 2012 that throws a little light on my questions, but not all answered.

Thanks,

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• 7.65 x 53 HS.jpg
    7.65 x 53 HS.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 45
  • 7.65 x 53.jpg
    7.65 x 53.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
the year 1329 in Islamic calendar equates to 1911 in the Gregorian calender. The top word could translate as MAUZR (Mauser).

Thanks Mate,

Do we know what other calibers were used @ Gallipoli against Commonwealth troops?

Regards Ozzi.

Most of the Turkish SAA was 7.65x53 as you surmised.

The Turkish Maxims were also 7.65mm, but there were probably some 7.92mm Maxims under German command. The Turks also had some obsolete 1 inch Nordenfelt guns defending the beaches.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Thanks Tony,

I have some specimens of WWI web machine gun belt that I will post pics of to try & get ID'd, I might be lucky that some of this is also related to the 7.65!

Regards Ozzi.

Here are my 3 specimens of old web MG belt all 3 are different in their own way, the middle one has 175 ink stamp near the RH end, presumably to indicate the number of rounds either filled or used. No other stencilling or stamps in the metalwork.

They are different from Vickers specimens I have (two types).

Can anyone ID them from this scant bit of info please?

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• Belt MG.jpg
    Belt MG.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 21