What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twins a half a world away with different names UK and Jap Naval Guns

HAZORD

Premium Member
I mentioned these crossover rounds a few days ago on another post. Prior to WWII, the Japanese purchased various artillery pieces from the U.K. The Jap equivalent ammo was encountered in WWII, but the Jap ammo received different names.

So, the 2Pdr antiaircraft became the Jap Navy 40mm Vickers-Armstrong.

The 12Pdr became the Jap Navy 8cm 40 caliber.

And the 4.7 inch became the Jap 12cm 45 caliber.

Photos of Jap on the left and UK on the right. Also a couple of photos of multiple UK 12Pdr cases, and 8cm Jap cases.

The external primers are interchangeable Jap to UK for both the 12Pdr and 4.7 inch.

The fuzes are interchangeable between the Vickers projectiles, although the Jap fuze has a huge booster. Fuzes are right hand thread, and the Jap booster is right hand thread. Both projectiles have side screws to hold the fuze in. The only stamping on the Jap projectile is on the base.

Attachments

• 40mm Rounds.jpg
    40mm Rounds.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 40mm Projectiles.jpg
    40mm Projectiles.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 40mm Projectile Bases.jpg
    40mm Projectile Bases.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 40mm Headstamps.jpg
    40mm Headstamps.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 40mm Fuze bases.jpg
    40mm Fuze bases.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 40mm Fuzes.jpg
    40mm Fuzes.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 12 Pdr 8cm Case Headstamps.jpg
    12 Pdr 8cm Case Headstamps.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 12 Pdr 8cm Cases.jpg
    12 Pdr 8cm Cases.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 29
  • All Jap 8cm 40 cal.jpg
    All Jap 8cm 40 cal.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 30
  • UK 12 Pdr cases.jpg
    UK 12 Pdr cases.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 12cm Cases.jpg
    12cm Cases.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 12cm Case Headstamps.jpg
    12cm Case Headstamps.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thank you for showing. Anybody knows if this aluminium fuze on the Japanese shell was exported also to other countries than Japan?

Hi Alpini,the ally/brass fuze I think is a Vickers pattern.So would be available on export rounds. Pic attatched hopefully! shown in a Mk IV projectile dated 1932 and made at VAD.(photo courtesy of Buster)Tig:wink:

yes, I ask because specimens of them (also VAD marked) were found in Germany and I guess the Germans did not have captured Japanese ammunition.

Last edited:
The Germans wouldn't have "captured" Jap ammunition because the two were allies. I believe the Japs were actually trying to use German ammo in one or two aircraft guns. Never heard of the Germans having Jap ammo though.