What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWINWOOD BOCN Reunion

Thanks for the photo Bazooka Chris.

I also thought it was a separately loaded gun with a screw-in cap for closing.

hi

i am no expert what so ever in this area of the 6 inch all i know is that its the correct projectile that goes with the case.
It would make sence that its a screw cap that goes on top of the case looking at the thread but i have the projectile placed in the top of the case stood up in corner with my other rounds and it looks great due to the size, so even if its meant to be a seperate loading i am keeping it on top of the case as its huge and very cool hehe

from bazooka chris

6in round

Bit of info on the 6in case, 3 ships Blake, Tiger and Lion were fitted with twin turrets having guns 6in/50 mk26DP which were automatic loading and also 3in/70 autos. The ships were started at the end of WW2 but changes to needs meant they underwent conversions and ended up being scrapped around 1980, Blake was the last of them. I trawled the net but could'nt find any pictures etc of the guns or ammo for them, there must be a handbook somewhere but I have never seen a textbook or handbook on ammunition dated between 1945 ish and the later Jane's (my 3rd edition is 1994-5 not sure of the earliest)
2pr