What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two unknown (to me) bombs........

condor

For some reason, I'm getting the pre-WWII British vibes from these bombs.........not sure why. The larger casing has faint remnants of yellow paint (anti-submarine bomb?). The larger casing, which is empty, weighs around 110-120 pounds. The smaller bomb has what appears to be an original OD green paint job, but might just be an old repaint. Small casing is also empty, very thin-walled, and probably 15-20 pounds. No markings that I could find on either, with the exception of "543" cast into the body of the larger bomb casing. Thanks in advance for any help on these!

20230926_121737.jpg

20230926_121747.jpg

20230926_121758.jpg

20230926_121817.jpg

20230926_121835.jpg

The Yellow one seems yo be a 250lb GP (Mk IV?, the Mk I-III models had a central tube protruding from the base plate but this may have been dismantled). Overall shape, dimensions, type and location of suspension, type of base plate, are indeed compatible.
The smaller bomb is a problem as it looks like a 20lb frag bomb or a 25lb incendiary but its diameter (4.5" 114mm) does not fit (too big for a 20lb frag, too small for a 40lb frag or a 25lb inc)
Yellow is the classical overall paint of British explosive bombs before 1942. Bronze green after that.

The Yellow one seems yo be a 250lb GP (Mk IV?, the Mk I-III models had a central tube protruding from the base plate but this may have been dismantled). Overall shape, dimensions, type and location of suspension, type of base plate, are indeed compatible.
The smaller bomb is a problem as it looks like a 20lb frag bomb or a 25lb incendiary but its diameter (4.5" 114mm) does not fit (too big for a 20lb frag, too small for a 40lb frag or a 25lb inc)
Yellow is the classical paint of British explosive bombs before 1942. Bronze green after that.

Have you checked the measurements of the smaller one against a US 25lb practice, WWI? The fin attachments look similar.

Yellow is the classical overall paint of British explosive bombs before 1942. Bronze green after that.
Yes sir, you are correct. After looking into it more closely, it appears to be the MkV 250lb GP bomb. Thank you for the help!

Have you checked the measurements of the smaller one against a US 25lb practice, WWI? The fin attachments look similar.
Yep, you nailed it! It is a WWI-era 25-lb MkII practice bomb. Embarrassed to admit, but I had a complete unit sitting out about 6 feet away and didn't even realize it was the same thing, sans nose and fin set. About like my ADSID situation, only worse! LOL

Now sitting on the table next to the complete unit............

20230927_091021.jpg