What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 93 ww2 jap mine,be care full

vinnyw

I bought this on line,luckly I did not pay much,pretty sure its an a
American made for the Jap mine training kit.
Can anybody tell me for sure from these pictures?
The band is brass or copper.
Thanks
Vinny :tinysmile_classes_tMVC-032S.JPGMVC-033S.JPG

My guess would be that it is not Japanese but just a US training aid.

My genuine Type 93 doesn't have the plug at the bottom and it is threaded at the top for the screw on cap. It is also made of copper except for a round steel disk just under the top portion. The top and bottom halves should also unscrew from each other.

I have just checked the Mine Training Kit manual and it states;

"several of the mine cases have been designed so that they can be filled with soil or sand to stimulate the weight of the actual mines."

This would account for the plug in the base of your mine.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Last edited:
Yes, without a doubt this is a U.S. training mine.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Robert, hope you are good these days. I have to tell you your Japanese ordnance album pictures are great. Nice stuff. I like your art/photo software use with added text. I use Microsoft Paint and my attempts adding graphics and text are a bit amateurish.

Last edited:
Many thanks Jim for the nice words. I use Arcsoft PhotoStudio 5.5 and couldn't do without it.

Jim

Robert, hope you are good these days. I have to tell you your Japanese ordnance album pictures are great. Nice stuff. I like your art/photo software use with added text. I use Microsoft Paint and my attempts adding graphics and text are a bit amateurish.

Thank you Guys
I thought it was,but
I,ve not been able to find one one line or at the 4 or 5 Military shows Im able to go to.I guess I,ll have to try the Louisville,Kentucky ( SOS ),or maybe the Fhoenix,Ariz.gun show I hear its a good show for Ordanace.
vinny

VinnyW, Original tapemeasure mines do show up at the better shows. Another good show is the MAX show near Pittsburgh PA. The competition (And myself) scoop up the good ordnance on the first day so be there day 1 or forget it!

Jim

P.S. This militaria site just had a Type 93 mine for sale in the last month, Amazingly it has a near complete paper label to the bottom but no fuze or cap. Labeled Mines are very rare. It's sold and I didn't get this but if you google search and visit militaria sites they do turn up!!

http://www.johnnyg.westhost.com/nnj116.html

Last edited:
Thank you
Some of the guys in the military collectors club I,m in go to that.I heard there is a lot of German stuff there.I will have to try to get there some day.
Thanks again
vinny

I remember this guy, he sold original Type 91 grenades at one time and i had rare a rare type 91 converted with white bottom, with the booster charge thread removed and lugs welded round the bottom, so it couldn't be placed down a mortar tube. I think he must have found a cave of grenades. I even have a fuze that has the original purple ink/ stain on it. I also believe he had a bit of an accident as he suddenly stopped sell this stuff, which is a shame. He is also quite fair to deal with as i had a crack in one of the grenade bodies and he sent me a replacement, free of charge. He is also on ebay. Let me know if he starts selling more stuff as i would like to get some more items of him.

Thanks for the info.I had some bad dealings with him on gunbroker he had some pratice jap grenades,2 or 3 of them at $100.00 ea. and ! at $50.00 he had raised them all up from $50.00 except the one,so I sent the shipping and the $50.00,but never got it of course.
vinny