What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U-boat guns and corrosion

thekees

I wonder how the guns on an U-boat were protected during life against the impact of salty water? Were they covered, or capped , or what?
Does anyone have an idea, or information?

On this site there are some pictures of a 2cm gun.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirk_bruin_vlieland/536280799/"]2-cm MG C/30 in Unterseebootslafette | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1190/536280799_1306634c6b_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@536280799@@AMEPARAM@@1306634c6b[/ame]

Well preserved!

This look to me as long time storage, but for the daily dives etc, it would be impossible to remove a 8,8 or 10,5 gun before every dive.

I can't speak for U Boats but here's a description of 3"/50 guns on board US Submarines.

Mark 17 guns were intended for wet mountings and had the bore and external working surfaces chrome plated and the chase painted with red lead. Mark 18 was intended for wet mountings and manufactured from a copper-nickel alloy with A tube, jacket, screwed and shrunk breech housing.

Ray

Kees, I wondered the same since many years :tinysmile_hmm_t:

the big guns were always capped and extensively maintained whilst travelling on the surface. they were removed after May 1943, as the German subs had to travel more and more submerged. simultaneously the Flak/AA-armament was increased, the problems too with daily jamming and failure.
one famous incident with a 10,5-gun occured on February 16th 1942 in the Caribbean. U 156 (KKpt. Werner von Hartenstein) stood in front of the Aruba oil terminal to shell it. he opened fire at 8.11am, but there was an immediate muzzle burst due to the still fixed cap!
this simple, but fatal error killed one man (MatrGefr. Heinrich Bssinger) and another, LtzS Dietrich-Alfred von dem Borne (II.WO and responsible for the deck guns) lost a leg.

I know of japanese breech plug cartridges for bigger guns. These are plugs in
form of a shortened cartridge with several rubber gaskets. It was simply "loaded"
into the chamber and the breech was closed.

092.jpg

To that the well known muzzle plugs or caps.
The german 2cm used a plug cartridge too and a muzzle cover -

flakuboot.jpg

to that the hole gun was covered with an really adhesive grease.

Are there any more plugs and caps ?

Last edited:
I have seen some of them in color reels of WWII looking like rust buckets on their guns but they shot fine from what I have been told by submariners from WWII.

During Labor Day (Full three days) the Group of Historans that I belong to, go up there and watch the Air Show (Cleveland) and talk about our periods in history and our compassions for doing what and why, and give speeches to those who visit each venue. We then get to bunk down in the USS Cod in Cleveland Harbor. I usually take the froward torpedo room bunk or one back in the officers quarters. Sometimes I even have slept all the way down in the Storiage hole #1 underneath the Galley/Prisoner's hold.

If anybody lives near me in nearby Cuyahoga Falls or Cleveland, bring your munitions out and/or "Kit" and we'll have a great time. Lots-n-lots of great times and as many pictures you can take. Food is also good. It's free for us and as much beverage as you want (absolutely no alcohol because of her many crawspaces and doors and doors where you can seriously get hurt). Been there a few time myself and saw a second of stars. Just let me know here via PM if you can make it and I'll personally see that you will have fun.

Mark
V40

http://www.usscod.org

The Germans also used a "Dichtungspatrone" (sealing cartridge) in 37x250R C36 for the M42 and 30x211 Br303 guns on their subs.

So the barrel could be protected by capping the front, and loading a plug into the breech, this make sence to me. The mechanism etc, would be protected by adding leadpaint or grease, and when back cleaned or so.
Another mistery solved. Thanks for the response, and for the great picture of the plugcartridge.