What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. M2 Anti - Personnel Mine

BOUGAINVILLE

Here is one of my latest finds. A really fine example of a WWII US M2 Anti-Personnel Bounding Mine dated October 1943.

Markings are: LOT K.O.P. 8-14 10-43

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Attachments

• IMGP4421.jpg
    IMGP4421.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMGP4419.jpg
    IMGP4419.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMGP4409.jpg
    IMGP4409.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
They basically use a M49 60mm mortar projectile turned upside down. It's not too hard to find. Some versions had an extra frag surround that went on the tapered part of the mortar projectile.

They basically use a M49 60mm mortar projectile turned upside down. It's not too hard to find. Some versions had an extra frag surround that went on the tapered part of the mortar projectile.

Depends on what side of the TRENCH a person resides if they are common. 2" mortars are common here but not 60mm. The real hard part will be finding the fuze.

Last edited:
Jolly Green is it dated? Also is that the special made war head or is that the modified 60mm mortar round?
Thank you for your reply.
vinny

BOUGAINVILLE
FYI your mine was loaded at the Kingsbury Ordnance Plant in La Porte, Indiana

Jolly Green is it dated? Also is that the special made war head or is that the modified 60mm mortar round?
Thank you for your reply.
vinny

You're making me work here Vinny...LOL
Mine is marked: Lot KOP-INERT 4-44 (in ink)
Projectile: LOT NVT 13 1943 M2A1&M2A1B1 (stamped into it)
It also has the Ordnance symbol stamped under that.
Projectile is a modified 60mm mortar round.
Fuze has no markings.

Sorry no spare fuze YET. Will keep an eye out though.
mat.gif

Last edited:
The LF in the lot number is Littlefuze Inc, not sure where they were located. The NVT is a strange on but I think it could have been an elarier symbol for Norris Corp, still need to clarifiy that one

Mine looks identical. However. it says "illumination" in raised metal. Any body have some info on these that I can use. They onl difference I can see is mine has a different cap.

There were 3 types for this mine, the practice which sent up a cardboard tube, the HE (and the item was a modified 60mm) and the Illumn. I came across both the HE and Illumn while in VN, wasn't issued them just found them emplanted at a location south of Khe Shan.

I think that I have located a genuine projectile for my mine. Exactly the same as the 60mm body but the end where the tail screws in isn't threaded.

All that I am looking for now is an inert fuze, hopefully will find one one day. Have heard that they are as scarce as hens teeth.

M-2 AP MINE

1. IDENTIFICATION. Figure 1 shows the appearance and dimensions of the M2, and M2A3 landmines. The M2 is typical of the group that includes the M2A1, M2A1B1, and M2A2; the M2A3 is typical of the group that includes the M2A3B2, M2A4B2. Mines in the M2 group are identical except for minor changes in structure. Mines in the M2A3 group are identical externally, but differ in explosive weights and internal arrangement.
a. Type. These are high-explosive (HE), bounding, fragmenting,
antipersonnel (apers) landmines. Each modification has an inert counterpart which is externally identical except for painting and markings.
b. Painting and Markings. The service landmines typified by the M2 are olive drab with a black base flange and yellow markings. The service landmines typified by the M2A3 are olive drab with a yellow base and markings stenciled in black. The inert landmines are painted black with white markings.
NOTE
Source data conflicts regarding the configuration of the base of the M2A3B2.

2. DESCRIPTION.
a. Material. Each mine is steel.
b. Weight. Each service mine in the M2 group weighs approximately 1.4 kilograms (3.0 pounds); each service mine in the M2A3 group weighs approximately 2.3 kilograms (5.0 pounds). Inert mines weigh slightly less than their service counterpart.

3. HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS. Each service mine contains a main charge of approximately 170 grams (6.0 ounces) of TNT, a tetryl booster weighing approximately 28 grams (1.0 ounce), and a delay element primer, and igniter each weighing less than 1 gram. Except for the M2A3 and M2A4, each service mine contains a 1-gram propelling charge; the M2A3 has two 1-gram propelling charges, and the M2A4 has one 2.5-gram propelling charge.

4. FUNCTIONING. When the fuze (figure 2) is actuated by 3.6 to 9.0
kilograms (8.0 to 20.0 pounds) of pressure, or a pull of 1.4 to 4.5 kilograms (3.0 to 10.0 pounds) on the tripwire attached to the release pin pull ring, the firing pin is released to initiate the percussion primer and then the igniter. The flash from the igniter sets off the propelling charge, which projects the projectile into the air, and simultaneously, ignites the delay element. When delay fires the detonator, activating the booster which detonates the main charge.Doc35_Page_1.jpgDoc35_Page_2.jpg