What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. M79 40mm grenade launcher and projos

I found this picture of a U.S. Vietnam era 40mm M79 grenade launcher and various projectiles. This is not my stuff but I sure wish it were! The launcher is a simple single shot break-down gun. Crude but effective. I was surprised that this gun also launched the 40mm parachute star shells. This gives an idea of the projectiles that were launched (40mm) in the Vietnam War.....Dano

Attachments

• m79-2.jpg
    m79-2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Dano

Some called it the "blooper", 'cause of the sound it made on firing. Accurately descriptive. They used them in Iraq as late as '04. Some Bradley crews had them when the 25MM was a bit much and the M240 wasn't quite enough. About half of the dismounts had M203s attached to their rifles.

Rick

South African used M79 + other ...

South African used M79 + other ...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 44
Dano,

a lot of what the blooper could shoot through her are now discontinued as are some of the rounds for the XM148 and the 203 system.

Grog would be the one to know all this. I am going to let him chime in if he is out there watching?

One other thing. SOG would chop of the barrel to half it size and cut the buttstock down to a wooded handgun shape. They would carry it on their web gear. And yes, it hurt when you fired it.

Last edited:
Here are 2 casings for the M79 that came in todays post. One is dated '69 and the other '73. Now I just need to find suitable projectiles to complete....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 962.jpg
    Picture 962.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 31
I'll fix you up with those Dano. I've been really busy lately with the Holidays and all. I haven't forgot about you Bro. I have a nice suprise or two I'm sending with your cap.

The M79 launched quite a number of munitions. The 50s-70s were the inventive time for the M79 ammo. There are a lot of patents available online now from Google patents and other sources that can fill you in on round specifics. Also, the Army Ammunition Data sheets manual on 40mm items has quite a lot of info. My site has a list (not at all "all inclusive" but a lot of them are there) here: http://www.freewebs.com/grog/products.htm
I replicate all of them (prices are listed on the right)
This list might help you identifying some of the many rounds available for the 40mm. GROG

I'll fix you up with those Dano. I've been really busy lately with the Holidays and all. I haven't forgot about you Bro. I have a nice suprise or two I'm sending with your cap.

The M79 launched quite a number of munitions. The 50s-70s were the inventive time for the M79 ammo. There are a lot of patents available online now from Google patents and other sources that can fill you in on round specifics. Also, the Army Ammunition Data sheets manual on 40mm items has quite a lot of info. My site has a list (not at all "all inclusive" but a lot of them are there) here: http://www.freewebs.com/grog/products.htm
I replicate all of them (prices are listed on the right)
This list might help you identifying some of the many rounds available for the 40mm. GROG
Thanks grog, appreciate any help you can give. I have just started reading up on the M79 and its simplicity is its most beautiful feature. Reminds me of my Harrington-Richardson 12ga single shot breakdown shotgun my dad bought me for my 16th birthday. That gun had a mighty kick. Have a good holiday my friend...Dano

Pics of 40mm rounds for M79 launcher

Looking for good close up pictures of various 40mm rounds used with the M79 grenade launcher. If someone has good pics and/or knows of a web-site with good pictures I would greatly appreciate it. (better pictures than attached snap)....Dano

Attachments

• m79-2.jpg
    m79-2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 10
Dano,

You asked for photos of Vietnam era 40mm rounds for the M79 launcher. I was away for Christmas and couldn't get to these photos. A little late, but here they are.

Photo 1 M406 HE Cutaway
M406 HE in actual color code
M406 HE marked inert
XM651E1 CS cutaway
XM651E1 CS

There was also an M386 and an M441 HE version differing only in the fuze system. Same gold ogive.

Photo 2 M662 Red Star Parachute, early composite material body.
M662 Red Star Parachute, later aluminum wasp-waist body.
XM583 White Star Parachute, early composite material body.
M583A1 White Star Parachute, later aluminum wasp-waist body.

Photo 3 XM679 Green Smoke Canopy, early composite body material.
XM679 Green Smoke Canopy, later wasp-waist aluminum body.
M661 Green Star Parachute, cutaway
M661 Green Star Parachute

There were many other variations of the Star Parachute and Canopy rounds in different colors. You can be safe in assuming that any of them in the M600 series are Vietnam era rounds.

Photo 4 XM387E3 Proof, with inert markings.
XM387E3 Proof, with actual black ogive
M407A1 Practice, cutaway
M407A1 Practice, silver ogive

Photo 5 M433 HEDP cutaway
M433 HEDP cutaway
M433 HEDP, marked inert
M433 HEDP, with the actual stubby gold ogive.

Photo 6 For some reason I have the M406 group again!
XM576E1 Multiple Projectile
XM576E1 Multiple Projectile cutaway

Photo 7 XM576E2 Multiple Projectile, cutaway
XM576E2 Multiple Projectile, introduced late in the war
Adapter to fire a standard 12. ga. shotshell of any type

Photo 8 Four variations of rocket assisted projectiles. These were not
issued as adopted and fielded items, but they were developed
in that time period and all field tested in Vietnam. The program
was dropped eventually.

It just dawned on me that I did not include the M397 rounds so I will put them in a different posting. Hope this helps. I have not included any of the high velocity long cased rounds here.

Bob

Attachments

• 40mm 4.jpg
    40mm 4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 40mm 8.jpg
    40mm 8.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 40mm 7.jpg
    40mm 7.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 40mm 6.jpg
    40mm 6.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 40mm 5.jpg
    40mm 5.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 40mm 3.jpg
    40mm 3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 40mm 2.jpg
    40mm 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 45
  • 40mm 1.jpg
    40mm 1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 73
Dano,

To eliminate some 40mm rounds that often show up at gun shows and for sale that were NOT around during Vietnam I have these photos.

Photo 1a The series of M700 colored Gound Smoke Markers.

Photo 1b A solid aluminum 12 ga. shotshell adapter
The M781 Practice filled with the orange dye material.

These all post date Vietnam.

Bob

Attachments

• 40mm 1a.jpg
    40mm 1a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 40mm 1b.jpg
    40mm 1b.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 46
Dano,

The M397 HE Bounding rounds I forgot the first time. Two slight variations and on the right is an experimental version that went by the name Controlled Effectiveness that was a variation of the M397. All were Vietnam period.

Bob

Attachments

• 40mm 9.jpg
    40mm 9.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 54
new 40mm stuff

Here is some 40mm rounds that came in todays post. I got the cap for the white star parachute shell on left and the other rounds including M406. what a great surprise...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 993.jpg
    Picture 993.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 44
Using a little modeling supplies, you can shine those up nice. The bottom of the CS unscrews, as well as the gray top cap. FYI... Merry late Christmas Bro. GROG