What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Naval Deck Gun ...? Well, sort of.

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

Here is a one-off, it's a working scale model of a U.S. Naval Deck Gun. At least I believe that's what it is made after. Wondered if anyone might recognize any model or type it is made to represent. It is a working model, made to fire .22 WCF ammunition! It is ~8"s in length and there is a date of 1919 scratched into the bottom of the base and the maker's (?) initials.

I think it's pretty neat, but wonder if it a fantasy piece or really modeled after an actual artillery model.

Thanks for looking!
- Mike

Attachments

• Deck-Gun-1.jpg
    Deck-Gun-1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Deck-Gun-2.jpg
    Deck-Gun-2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Deck-Gun-3.jpg
    Deck-Gun-3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 57
Neat-o. Had seen something akin to that for sale in an antique shop. I believe it was a training model and did not actually fire anything, but replicated an actual mount. It was priced at just shy of $500; so far as I know, they still have it.

Does your model have a rifled bore? It doesn't look familiar, but I'm not that well versed in early artillery/mount pieces.

Rick

because I recently bought a lathe I read the old book "Lathe work for beginners". By chance I remembered the following article from this book:

lathe_work_for_beginners-1.png lathe_work_for_beginners-2.jpg

I know it's a different model, but overall appearance looks similar (including the possibility of firing .25 cartridges). So I guess your piece is also an exercise of a metal worker trainee. My book is from 1922 may be there is an earlier edition too?

Last edited:
Slick, Alpini -

Thanks very much for your thoughts! Alpini, never would have found that on my own..., I downloaded a copy of the book and read through the entire section. It certainly sounds similar to the one I found. Perhaps the example pictured above was a wartime/post-war 'patriotic' project that was then formalized in the book. The book describes their version as a 1/24 scale copy of a 6" Naval Gun that combines the features of American and French models. It is interesting to note that the book discusses 'proper' arms making processes in the instructions. Makes one wonder how many others may be out there?

Now, do I dare fire a blank in it??? :tinysmile_cry_t2:

Thanks again!
- Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,I saw a gun like this when I visited Normandy,it was in a museum of wreckage recovered by a local diver,could it be a deck gun from a submarine or armed trawler/merchant ship,
Regards,
Don,

Thanks Don -

I think you may be right in it being a sub deck gun, but will need to do some more research. I finally got my hands on it, and it is meant to fire .22 rimfire cartridge. And, there is a recoil built into the barrel where it meets the carriage.

Slick - The bore is rifled and quite nicely done.

Don't think I'll chance it though. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Best regards!
- Mike

Mike,

bok-bok-bok (the sound of a chicken)

:)

A private message or email, with video, will upgrade your status amongst the shooters hereabouts.

Mike,

bok-bok-bok (the sound of a chicken)

:)

A private message or email, with video, will upgrade your status amongst the shooters hereabouts.

Let me see how many beers I have in the fridge...., maybe later tonight.:tinysmile_shutup_t2

Speaking of guns, my opinion of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, just went waaaaay up after seeing this picture. Not that I had a low opinion; really didn't have one at all. Can't imagine Our Highness even knowing which end to hold.

Amongst EmmaGees, this is called: Gettin' some!

Queen Elizabeth.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike,There seems to be some kind of deposits around the breech and pedestal,could this be from when it was used last(.22 rimfire),just another suggestion,,,,could it have been used as a signal gun for perhaps yaught racing,(with blanks)whatever it was for it is well made,
Regards,
Don,