What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uknown item

F

Fuzeman

Received Through the post this morning a box of other ordnance related bits and pieces was this strange object , the item came from a barn clearance in a box marked blitz shrapnel!
The object is conical shaped , wound with a very old cord , inside it looks as though a piece of Wood wrapped in sack cloth.
Judging from the smell the cord or string could be impregnated with something .
It may not be ordnance relatee but something old used on a farm .any ideas please

Attachments

• CIMG0097.jpg
    CIMG0097.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 60
  • CIMG0098.jpg
    CIMG0098.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 58
  • CIMG0099.JPG
    CIMG0099.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 55
Hello Steve,
The only thing I've ever seen like it was a 'Plug' of chewing tobacco. Yours looks like half of a 'Plug' which was tapered at each end and tied with hemp string which I believe was tarred. It was still available in the 60's from Findlays the tobacconist in Portsmouth. I tried it once, never again, I was very sick! I did meet an aged able seaman on a ship which I served on who still used it, I'm sure it was just because he knew no one would want to scrounge any from him.
I doubt that yours could be tobacco but at first glance it was the first thing to enter my mind. I'll be interested as to the outcome of your question?
Cheers,
navyman.