What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultrasonic Cleaner,s

stormy

Hi i was just wondering if a ultrasonic cleaner could be used to clean 20mm /40mm shells & caseing,s.

Hello Stormy,
I've used one of these in the past and found it will remove much stuck on debris. One tip is not to do what I did and try mild acid to the tank, it immediately destroyed the aluminium tank!
Just use clean water and watch the surface grime literally fall off. It won't of course clean the cases themselves, but that's not required I imagine?
Hope this is useful,
Cheers, navyman.

Stormy
Ultrasonic tanks will clean just about anything.
Try one with white spirit or Kerosene in it as the medium - this will remove carbon deposits better than water.
Be aware though after a while the liquid can become warm & thereby give off flamamble vapours - so no smoking!!
Depending on the strength you can use fine sand or shot cleaning medium in some - this works a bit like a case tumbler & will `polish` items as well.